It's Over Now

*Khassidy's Inner Thoughts*

Damn... everytime I get the chance to talk to them about anything, they shut me out. Isn't there anything they're willing to agree with me on? What am I doing wrong? I thought they'd be happy for me... Guess I ain't here to please just anybody on this Earth... Not even the people who brought me here.

|Khassidy's Parents' Home|

Khassidy: "Mom? Dad? Y'all home?"

Khassidy's P.O.V: I had just got back from my last dance practice for the week at the dance school I teach. I had a duffel back on my shoulder that i usually carry with me to every class. My parents know that I teach a bunch of young kids to follow their passions of dance like how I am oh so fond of it myself. They find it useless, but I don't see anything wrong with it. It isn't hurting anyone, is it? I find it weird.. because... my parents are usually home whenever I come over from teaching a class. This time I didn't see them in plain sight. I wonder where they could be...

Joline: "Yeah, um... hun? Can you come in here for a brief moment? Your father and I would like to speak to you about something."

I had paused for a brief moment, still standing in front of the open door that I just came through. Many thoughts started to race through my mind during this moment. My mind tells me that whatever they may mention to me, definitely has something to do with me teaching dance to students as a profession.

I walked towards the dining room, where I can see my father and mother sitting at the dining room table, obtaining concerned and frustration-like facial expressions while they watched me come towards them. Now my heart is racing.

Uriko: "Have a seat, Khass."

Khassidy: "Um, alright." I say as I proceed to pull up a chair, as I continue to observe their facial expressions towards me. "Is everything okay with you and mom?"

Joline: "Yes, everything is fine. Is everything okay with you perhaps?"

I looked towards my mother, confused as ever.

Khassidy: "Yeah. Everything is perfectly fine... why would you ask?"

Uriko: "So.. lately, your mother and I have been thinking greatly on how this... dancing job of yours benefits you from anything. Does this dance job have anything in relations to Architecture?"

Now in my head, I know damn well my father did not just compare architecture to dancing. What does this have to do with anything?

Khassidy: "I- No! What does Architecture have to do with dancing? Isn't that relating to buildings and floor plans and what not?"

Joline: "See, Uriko, she knows what Architecture is about, yet she chooses to do dance over the family trade that she could greatly benefit from."

Khassidy: "Mom. I thought we had gone over this MULTIPLE TIMES before! My heart does not find joy in dad's business in Paris! I just don't see myself doing anything with buildings.. or drawing. Whatever it is that he does in the company. Just because I may know a thing or two about architecture doesn't mean i'm excellent at it."

Uriko: "You know this trade has gone on in this family for centuries, and I find it very disrespectful for you to discontinue the trade by not being apart of the family company."

Khassidy: "Mom and Dad. Listen to me. Please. I am 25 years old! I don't have to follow the current trade just because it runs in the family. Dance is where my heart lies! Both you AND mom even sent me to dance classes when I was 5. I'm much older now and this is what I see myself doing for the rest of my life. I've actually found a lot of joy by doing this. I finally found who I am as a person. I think i'm capable of making my own decisions without having to have this conversation about a family trade every time I come over from practice."

Joline: "You know how much this means to your father, Khassidy. But what do you even benefit from dance exactly? All you're doing is listening to music and moving your body. The little competitions you tell me about only pay you $500 dollars for only showing up. And when was the last time you've ever gotten first place?"

Khassidy: "Well, mom, the pay might not be as great as you want it to be but i benefit GREATLY from this trade that I do. You have no idea on what the music does to your body mentally, spiritually, and physically. Do you guys ever care about MY wants and MY needs? All y'all ever care about is that stupid ass family tra-

My dad cuts me off.

Uriko: "FINISH THAT SENTENCE. I DARE YOU. I SWEAR TO GOD, KHASSIDY IF YOU EVER SAY THAT THIS FAMILY TRADE IS NOTHING BUT BULLSHIT, YOU WILL NEVER GET TO SEE ME AND YOUR MOTHER EVER AGAIN."

I looked at him in disgust as he and my mother looked at me, disappointed.

Khassidy: "THE TRADE IS A BUNCH OF CRAP! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM ME, HUH? JUST TO DO SOME CRAPPY ASS DRAWINGS AND WORK ON BUILDINGS FOR THE REST OF MY DAMN LIFE AND CALL THAT FUN? ME AND YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE, DAD. SAME WITH ME AND MOM. WE NEVER SEE EYE TO EYE ON ANYTHING! Y'ALL NEVER GIVE A CHANCE ON WHAT I GOT PLANNED! IT A'INT FAIR!"

I stare at my father in anger. I started to see his eyes get bloodshot red, with my mother on the verge of having tears roll down her cheeks. He proceeds to get up and away from the dining room table, walks towards the door slowly, and unlocks the front door.

Uriko: "Look what you did to your mother. All because we want the best for you and you choose the worst trade of them all. We're here trying to make something of your ass and make you live off of what we already had made for you, but no. You wanna throw this already-made empire just to please yourself. Aint that right? HUH KHASSIDY?!? ISNT THAT RIGHT??

I stayed silent while he waited for a response. I ended up not answering due to how emotional and angry I became on the inside. I started to feel bad for making my mother cry, but not bad for trying to prove a point and defending myself for what I love.

Khassidy: "Mom I-"

Joline: "Khassidy, I think you need to go. I've heard enough from you." She wipes away the residue of her tears left under her eye sockets.

Uriko: "I agree. Matter of fact, I think you need to really go. For good. You think you got it all down packed? Go see for yourself what the world is really like with that little dance shit you do. Ungrateful little girl. Get out my house."

Khassidy: "But dad, I was just trying to prove a poi-

Uriko: "GET THE HELL OUT, NOW!"

My father starts rushing towards me, and takes my duffel bag filled with my dancing tools and pushes me out the door.

Uriko: "When you got that little diva act and your life straightened out, I don't want to see you step foot into this house ever again. After all the shit me and your mother did for you. And as for that, you can go ahead and find an apartment and see if them little competitions you do will help you pay ya rent. I'll send for your things by tomorrow."

Khassidy: "But da-"

He shuts the door in my face.

I started to feel every emotion that was bad. Angry, frustrated, but most of all, betrayed. How could my own folks not support my decision? Just because I didn't follow the family trade? I started to believe that all they cared about was their business more over their own child's wants and needs.

I sat at the front door step, crying. I gazed among the distance, trying to figure out where does my life go from here. I have no where to live. To eat. To lie my head at every night. Only god knows where to take me from here. I grew hopeless as I sat at my mother and father's front doorstep.

Where does dance take me now...