Chapter Thirty Three

We reached 6K! Thank you guys so much for the reads!

One Chapter left well more like an epilogue.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆○

When I walked through the hallways I noticed how everyone have weird looks.

I tried to brush it off and instead went to deposit some of my books in my locker.

"I warned you, didn't I?" I jumped a foot in the air from clutching my heart and looked at the culprit. Merlin.

"Tsk aw...poor you." at this she jutted out her bottom lip. "See if you had listened to me like a good girl that you claim you are none of this would've happened. But no. You just had to be so stubborn." She giggled before leaving, her his clicking on the floor.

During all the periods before lunch, I kept on hearing snippets of conversation and they all revolved around "Owen and Lyra's fling". I felt disgusted at some of the rumours I'd heard.

"Hey." I looked up at the familiar face of Dustin.

"Hey." I have him a tight smile

It was lunch time and I had decided to seat outside by the benches, not in the mood to listen to any of the rumours.

"Is this seat taken?"

I shook my head, "no."

He sat down next to me and we were ingulfed in silence.

"You're probably here to tell me you told me so, right?"

From the corner of my eye I saw him look at me with a slightly hurt look.

"What?"

"You know. About how you kept warning me about Owen and how I bent on the idea that you were wrong." I looked up at him. "Turns out you were right. So if you're here to say you told me so, do it already."

He gave a short humourless laugh then turned away all the whole shaking his head. "I can't believe you think that of me." He dropped his head as if trying to choose his next words carefully then fully turned to face me. "Lyra, you're...God. You're like one of the most amazing people I've ever come across. And believe me when I tell this, I hate seeing you in pain. So I don't know why you're saying that." He took my hand in his and squeezed it gently. "I care about you. I really do. Don't forget that."

With that said he gently let go of my hand and left.

○☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆○

"I want to go home." I told Kate when she found seated outside.

"Hey. Look at me." I did. "You're a very strong girl and believe me when I tell you you didn't deserve to be with that jerk face. You deserve way better."

"But have you heard the rumours?"

"This is high school, Lyra. Everyone is simply here for entertainment no matter how far fetched or idiotic it might sound. So don't listen to them."  Let's get lunch."

"Well I don't to be anyone's entertainment and I'm not hungry."

"Yeah but you're still going to try and get some food in you before you starve."

"I don't want to see them."

"Then don't look at them. If anything they should be the ones hiding in shame. Not you. Now come on. And keep your head high."

She grabbed my hand, not to gently, and ushered me towards the cafeteria.

The moment we walked in, I could feel all eyes on me. I tried to keep my cool and avoid any eye contact but for some reason I found myself looking at the table I had occupied for months. Just as I was about to look away, my eyes came in contact with Merlin. She gave me a satisfied smirk and it was only then that I noticed what she was seated on, more like who she was seated on.

"You're staring!" Kate whisper shouted.

I looked away and bought my lunch, which happened to be an apple and a bottle of water, before following Kate to a table that happened to be occupied by only one person.

I sat down trying to figure out how this week had started out so well but then took a turn for the worse. I couldn't wait for it to be over and done with already.

"Oh Dustin dear."

The nasally high pitched voice that belonged to no other than Merlin called out.

"That's not even her actual voice. I'd heard her speaking on the phone one day but her voice wasn't high pitched. If anything, she has a normally pitched voice." Kate said.

"What on earth are you doing with losers. Don't tell me. Don't tell me." She held up a hand as if stopping him from talking with fake enthusiasm. "You're trying to feel what it feels like to be a loser right? You're so sweet dear cousin. Just too sweet. I guess there's absolutely nothing wrong with hand me downs righ-"

"That's enough!" Dustin got up the chair scraping against the floor at his sudden movement and grabbed Merlin by the elbow and out of the cafeteria. Throughout the whole incident Merlin still managed to keep a grin on her face.

I dumped the plastics in the bin beside me with a little too much force.

Somehow the day had managed to get far worse. I had been detained for sleeping in class and now I had to stay late picking up all the litter while everyone else was in their way home.

I was about to pick up a broken glass when my hand grazed the broken part, causing it to start bleeding.

"Need help with that."

"I don't need your help." I didn't have to look up to know who it was.

He made to grab my hand but I wrenched it away from him.

"Don't touch me." I seethed up at him and walked over to one of the taps to wash my now bleeding hand.

"I don't know why you're so angry." He shrugged his left shoulder. "You should be happy that I told you the truth."

I glared up at him.

"Look you deserve someone who'll love you and I'm sorry that I can't be that person. But there is someone who's always had his eyes out for you."

"Leave me alone."

"You and I both know I'm right."

I didn't watch him leave but instead tried to clean the cut on my hand.