We Only See Each Other at Weddings and Funerals

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, we shouldn't have come--" Lilly tries, looking at the stairs where her brother had left.

"Forget about him." Allison says. "I'm glad you're here."

Lilly smiles a small smile at Allison.

***

Lilly and Vanya walk through the house.

"Vanya." Lilly says, gliding her fingers over a bookcase in the room they're in. "Look."

Lilly pulls out a book called EXTRAORDINARY, with two identical twin girls on the front. Vanya starts flipping through the book.

"Welcome home, Ms.Vanya. And Ms. Lilly." Pogo, a monkey, says from behind the twins.

"Pogo." Vanya says. Vanya and Pogo hug. Lilly waves to Pogo. "So good to see you two." Pogo looks down at Vanya's hands and sees the book. "Ah, yes, your autobiographies."

"Do you know, um...Did he ever read it?" Vanya asks.

"Hmm, Not that I'm aware of." Pogo says.

"How long has it been since Five disappeared?" Lilly asks, looking at the picture of Five above the fireplace.

"It's been 16 years, four months, and 14 days." Pogo says.

"Too long..." Lilly whispers.

"Your father insisted I keep track." Pogo says.

"You wanna know something stupid?" Vanya asks. "I always used to leave the lights on for him. I was scared that he would come back, it would be late, and the house would be dark and he wouldn't be able to find us, so he'd leave again. So, every night I'd make a little snack and make sure all the lights were on."

"Oh, I remember your snacks." Pogo says. "I'm pretty sure I stepped in half those peanut butter and marshmallow sandwiches."

"It's mine and Five's favorite." Lilly says. "We made it up together."

"Your father always believed that Number Five was still out there somewhere." Pogo tells them. "He never lost hope."

"And look where that got him." Vanya says.

***

The siblings sit in the living room. Lilly stares at the fire in the fireplace, completely zoning out.

"Um..." The oldest, Luther, starts. "I guess we should get this started. So, I figured we could have a sort of memorial service in the courtyard at sundown. Say a few words, just at Dad's favorite spot."

"Dad had a favorite spot?" Allison asks.

"You know, under the oak tree." Luther says. "We used to sit out there all the time. None of you ever did that?"

"Will there be refreshments?" The other brother, Klaus, asks, smoking a cigarette. "Tea? Scones? Cucumber sandwiches are always a winner."

"What? No." Luther says. "And put that out. Dad didn't allow smoking in here."

"Is that my skirt?" Allison asks.

"What?" Klaus asks. "Oh, yeah, this. I found it in your room. It's a little dated, I know, but it's very breathey on the bits." He twirls around.

"Listen up." Luther says. "Still some important things that we need to discuss, all right?"

"Like what?" Diego asks.

"Like the way he died." Luther says.

"And here we go." Diego groans.

"I don't understand. I thought they said it was a heart attack." Vanya says.