Chapter 11

~~Adelaide~~

Drew kissed me. He told me he liked me and then he kissed me. And the thing is, I have no regrets that I didn't pull away. That I didn't leave.

He and I are just sitting there with our faces close to each other. His hand still on my chin from when he lifted my face up to face him.

Drew breaks the silence first, "There's something about you that's different. I've always had girls interested in me, but I never felt about them like I feel about you. I get it if this is all too soon for you or you just feel weird about it, but I'm willing to wait as long as it takes. I'm willing to do whatever you want me to do to prove myself to you."

I've never heard him this way before, he's always joking around or being silly but right now he's one-hundred percent serious.

"Can you at least say something?" He gives a nervous laugh.

I sigh and look down at the water, "I really don't know what to think. I've had so many trust issues and I thought things were different with Michael but I guess they weren't..." my voice cracks. "it's not that I don't like you, I think you're a great guy and you're pretty cool...I just need some time..."

Drew smiles at me, "I get it. I've got plenty of time." A phone ring blares out in the silence and Drew looks at his phone. "I have to go. See you Adelaide."

He gets up and walks towards the house, "Drew...wait!" I get up and follow him.

He turns to look at me.

"Thank you...for telling me the truth about Michael. I'm sorry I was such a jerk."

Drew takes my hand and squeezes it gently, "I just didn't want you to get hurt." he smiles at me and gives my hand one more squeeze before walking away.

I let out a deep breath that feels like I've been holding in for a long time.

My mind just keeps replaying when he kissed me. The other day I told Michael to stop, but I just let Drew do it today.

Acadia comes into the kitchen and sees me standing there, "Adelaide? What are you doing?"

"He kissed me..." I say breathlessly.

"He what?"

"Drew kissed me." I look straight at her when I say that. Her face lights up and she squeals. "I knew it!! I KNEW he liked you!! Tell me everything!"

Acadia drags me upstairs to my room and we sit on my bed.

"Well I heard someone singing so I went outside and Drew was playing guitar and singing. After he stopped, I sat beside him and he told me he really liked me and he kissed me."

"What was it like?" Acadia asks eagerly.

I sigh, replaying the moment in my head, "It was soft and gentle. Not how I expected...to be honest, I actually liked it...."

Acadia squeal, "OH MY GOSH THAT'S SO CUTE!! So are you two a couple now??"

"NO!" I say, "I'm not comfortable with that!"

Acadia rolls her eyes at me, "Ugh, c'mon Adelaide. Just get over yourself and date the cute boy."

I laugh, "I don't know. I'm just not comfortable with it right now and he's not gonna force me to do anything."

Acadia yawns, "I'm gonna go to bed, we'll talk more later." She goes and lies down on the futon in my room.

I look at the clock. It's 12:49. We had been talking for a while.

I lie down on my bed and pull the comforter up to my chin. As I lie there, I hear Acadia's steady breaths from across the room. I start to think about everything that happened in the past few hours and everything Acadia said.

I imagine me and Drew as a couple. A smile creeps up on my face and my heartbeat increases. Why do I feel this way? I don't think I like him. But when I think of him kissing me, I just feel so happy and warm inside.

I haven't felt like that in a long time.

As I think over everything, I toss and turn trying to sleep.

This is gonna be a long night.