8

~Ali~

The next day Jaz and I sleep late into the morning, a compensation of sorts for the late night of movie watching that occurred the night before. The last I remember, Ethan and Jack had fallen asleep in our dorm, one on the couch and the other on the bed of blankets and pillows Jaz and I had not yet cleared up. But when the morning sun gently awakens my senses, I realise with a pang that the boys have already slipped out of the open window - recently though, if the depression in the couch is anything to go by.

I skip the bunk-bed ladder and jump straight to the floor with a thump, waking Jaz with the sound. After a stretch and sigh, Jaz shuffles to the kitchen and switches on the kettle, watching it hiss through hooded eyes. I follow her in and pour a glass of juice, pulling down the tin of tea bags for Jaz to rifle through.

Downing the cloudy apple juice and munching on a handful of slightly softened crackers, I play some music through the portable speaker on the coffee table and see to getting dressed. Still with the remnants of sleep fogging my mind, I do not put much thought into my choices. I brush my hair, fiddling it into place and smooth lip balm over my sleep-dry lips to try and bring some life into my face.

After I get dressed, I power up my laptop and check an unopened birthday email from my parents. I tap out a reply as Jaz takes a quick shower in the bathroom, my fingers gliding easily over the keyboard.

Dear Mum and Dad,

Thanks! My birthday was great and please don't feel bad for not visiting! It's a long drive. I had my friends here with me anyway (they even threw me a surprise get-together!)

My first few days have been interesting. A good interesting, though. I've learnt a lot while I've been here and I am getting used to the lecture styles, too.

I love you,
Ali

And... send.

"Oh I forgot to mention!" Jaz says, considerably more awake as she emerges from a steam-filled room wrapped in a thin towel. "I promised Jack we would meet them down by the orchard this morning as long as you are alright with it?"

"Of course, no problem. I have a short workshop in the afternoon but it's only about essay writing technique so I might not even go."

"Cool, I'll get dressed quickly and then we can head down," she replies as she takes out a cropped t-shirt from the shelves and a dark pair of shredded jeans.

Stroking some mascara over my eye lashes, I blink flirtatiously at myself in the mirror, watching my electric blue eyes spark to life as the sleep ebbs away. Eyeing myself in the mirror, I second guess my choice of jacket, for some reason now lightly conscious about my appearance. Just to humour myself, I take off my hoodie and slip into my soft-wash denim jacket and peer into the mirror, turning half circles. Not bad, Ali. Not bad, I think, tucking my black feather necklace under the safety of my neckline.

Jaz comes out of the bathroom lip-singing the tune bleeding through the mesh speaker. Her mousy-brown hair is tangled up into a messy bun, a stray lock swept sweetly behind her heavily studded ear.

We set off shortly after, cracking a muffin in half as we traipse down the stairwell. When we pass through the orchard's wooden gate, the first person - or angel, I should say - I see is Jack, leaning against a thick crabapple tree trunk, head thrown back, staring up at its minty leaves intently. A twig falls from above, bouncing off of Jack's shoulder and landing on a pillow of grass.

I track the fall of the twig all the way up to Ethan balancing at the top of the tree's tallest branch. He is balancing precariously, reaching for a large, glossy apple amongst the green stones of premature fruits surrounding it. The thin branch bows and shakes under his toes as he inches towards to the end of the tapering branch, his right arm outstretched to pluck the leafy fruit.