Chapter 07: Seven Years Later

Seven years later.

Bangka Island, Indonesia.

There was a small village near the beach which are noisy in the early morning. Many sailors were already back and selling the fishes they got to feed their families in the fish market.

Between the bargaining aunties in the market, a black-haired woman appeared to be out of the norm. She was in her twenties and were using casual clothes as she went to a certain stall.

"Sir, is the fishes that I requested has been caught? I want to cook it this afternoon." The black-haired woman asked the stall owner softly in Indonesian.

The stall owner were a tan-skinned man who was sitting on the chair with his eyes closed. He doesn't seem to be worried about his catch getting stolen because the fishes were practically stored inside the ice box unopened. He slowly opened his eyes as he recognized her voice.

"Ah, it's actually you, Tiffany. Yes, the fish you ordered were in the ice box. It's the same usual price. Don't forget to return the box." He stood up and handed over the box to her.

Tiffany nodded politely and paid him directly with cash. She wasn't bothered by the weight of the box and walked away.

'Though woman.' The man murmured in his heart when he saw her silhouette from afar.

The Tiffany that he knows were a new teacher in the island. He never seen her smile even once from two years ago when she first arrived in Bangka.

He has heard of the rumors that she was accepted to teach here just because of the lack in working hands and she were half Indonesian half American.

But the students who are studying under her rebutted fiercely when they hears the rumors, to the point that they were going to fight their parents. In the end, she silenced them all by saying that she won't acknowledge them to be her students if they didn't stop. Or so he heard.

The man sighed as he continued to wait for the next person to order.

.....

Tiffany's house were situated on the remote side of the village. This place were chosen on consideration of her hobby in cultivating vegetables that needs a lot of space and no disturbance.

After Tiffany reached her home, a medium-sized black dog came to her view. It was wagging its tail and looking at her with anticipation.

Tiffany twisted her mouth before patting its head to calm it down.

"Oh, you're back teacher. I've watered the plants for you already so you don't have to do it again. As you promised, you have to share your mackerel chips [1] with me!" From her backyard appeared a teenage girl who smiled with a smug expression.

"Yes, yes. But you must clean yourself up if you didn't want to get a stomachache. Don't believe me? Look at how much of a mess you are now." Tiffany ruffled the girl's hair with her other hand as she pointed out her dirty hands and feet.

The teenage girl ran hastily to her home and shouted, "You're the best, teacher! If there are more works to do, you can call me again!"

"..." 'So you're fine with being told to work like a farmer just for some food? Aren't your parents tin bosses aka rich?'

Tiffany began to doubt the authenticity of her student's known origin in the island. But soon, her attention were attracted by the dog which was licking her knees.

"Don't be naughty Kontora, I'll take a walk with you in the evening later." Tiffany picked the dog and mumbled quietly. Kontora just stuck out its tongue innocently.