Chapter 43: Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, Starfire, and Prongs.

"You're both mental." Ron shook his head.

"Ridiculous!" said Hermione faintly.

"Peter Pettigrew's dead!" said Harry. "He killed him twelve years ago!" He pointed at Sirius, who was twitching.

"I meant to" He growled, his yellow teeth bared, "but little Peter got the better of me... not this time, though!"

Sirius lunged at the rat, causing me to let out a gasp. 

"Sirius, NO!" Remus yelled, dragging Sirius away from Ron, "WAIT! You can't do it just like that -- they need to understand -- we've got to explain --"

"We can explain afterwards!" Sirius tried to get Remus off.

"They've -- got -- a -- right -- to -- know -- -everything!" Remus panted, still trying to restrain Sirius. "Ron's kept him as a pet! There are parts of it even I don't understand, and Autumn, Harry -- you owe them the truth, Sirius! Sapphire, please, you're the only one who--"

I walked over to the scene unfolding and set my hands on his shoulders, causing him to calm down a bit. He was still looking at Scabbers, though, who was struggling. 

"All right, then," Sirius said. "Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit

the murder I was imprisoned for..." I've never seen Sirius this animalistic, not even when they bullied me...no, not even then. 

"You're nutters, both of you," said Ron shakily. "I've had enough of this. I'm off." He tried to get up, but Remus raised his wand and pointed it at Scabbers. 

"You're going to hear me out, Ron," he said quietly. "Just keep a tight hold on Peter while you listen."

"HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!" Ron yelled. 

"There were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die," Autumn finally spoke. "A whole street full of them..."

"They didn't see what they thought they saw!" said Sirius, still watching Scabbers.

"Everyone thought Sirius killed Peter," said Remus, nodding. "I believed it myself -- until I saw the map tonight. Because the Marauder's map never lies... Peter's alive. Ron's holding him, Autumn." 

"Thank you, Remus, finally!" I muttered. 

"But Professor Lupin... Scabbers can't be Pettigrew... it just can't be true, you know it can't..." Hermione shakily said.

"Why can't it be true?" Lupin said calmly.

"Because... because people would know if Peter Pettigrew had been an Animagus. We did Animagi in class with Professor McGonagall. And I looked them up when I did my homework -- the Ministry of Magic keeps tabs on witches and wizards who can become animals; there's a register showing what animal they become, and their markings and things... and I went and looked Professor McGonagall up on the register, and there have been only seven Animagi this century, and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list." 

I marveled at her intelligence and determination. Almost reminds me of Lily. I tried hard not to think so much on it, or else I'd start crying, and right now, Sirius' actions are not helping with that. 

"Right again, Hermione!" he said. "But the Ministry never knew that here used to be three unregistered Animagi running around Hogwarts."

"Ahem..." I coughed out.

"Four, my apologies." He grinned at me. 

"If you're going to tell them the story, get a move on, Remus," said Sirius, still watching Scabbers. "I've waited twelve years, I'm not going to wait much longer."