I hate speaking to him this way, but I'm just as frustrated as he is and having him grill me about it doesn't help. I need to focus. I need to piece this together.

"Not good enough Ever," he says, grabbing my bad arm. I try with all my might not to scream out or flinch at the searing pain that courses through my body. I don't want him to know how bad it is, or he'll make us stop.

"I can tell you know more than you're letting on." He steps in front of me. I move to the right and then the left, but he blocks my way. "We're not going another step further until you start talking. I want some answers. What did your aunt say to you?"

I can see in his eyes that he's not going to let up or move out of my way until I give him something.

"She told me to look for the hole in the ground and to try and remember."

"Could she have been any more cryptic?" He shakes his head.

"I know. That's why I didn't say anything. It sounds crazy."

"It might have sounded crazy earlier today, but not now. Do you know what she meant by a hole in the ground?"

I shake my head. "I know it's probably not the one we almost just died in."

"And what about remembering? Do you know what she was referring to?

"If I knew the answer, believe me, I would tell you. All I know is that my dreams have been getting stronger, and I see the images even when I'm awake now. I know I can figure this out. I just need more time."

"Unfortunately, that's not something we have."

"Exactly, that's why you should get out of my way so that we can keep going." The words come off harsh and I immediately feel bad. I see the hurt in his eyes. "Sorry," I say.

"Whatever, let's just keep moving."

He's irritated, but I don't have time to indulge his behavior. We have to keep going, not just for us, but for Lex. We need to get to her before more of those men do, which is challenging considering we have no idea where Lex she is.

"The map my aunt gave us is long gone, but I remember seeing a small town just east of here. If I'm right, then we'll be there soon."

"How far?"

"Two miles, maybe three."

I look to the stars as my guide. It was something that my dad taught me on one of our camping adventures. We dragged our sleeping bags out of the tent and laid under the stars. I was scared at first. It was so dark and eerily quiet. But then he pointed out all the constellations and how to use them as a map of the world. I was so enthralled that I forgot about the darkness and the stillness of the night. For several years, I became obsessed with stars and planets. I told my parents I wanted to be an astronomer or an astronaut and that I wanted to live on the moon or discover an unexplored planet. My father chuckled. "You can do anything you want to kiddo," he said, tousling my hair. And I truly believed I could, until my obsession died out when I started high school. It wasn't "cool" for a girl to be into science. I was supposed to be interested in make-up and clothes and so that's what I did. I tried to fit in, but that didn't last long either.

"Well, let's get going then," Wyler says as he takes the lead, or at least he thinks he's leading. He's headed in the right direction, so I don't say anything. That was another thing I learned during high school; boys don't like being told what to do by a girl. They love to take charge and to feel in control, so I let him think he is.

Thankfully, the stars do not fail us. We walk for hours through the night, without speaking much, focusing instead on each step in front of us. Just as the sun starts to rise, I see a few small buildings off in the distance. My mouth is parched and I can't stop licking my lips. The mud caked on my skin has hardened and is beginning to crack and flake off. I pray that there's food and water in this tiny town.