Epilogue

(Third Person Point of View)

Tendou groaned. "Ahh Wakatoshi~ what took you so long? I'm so bored that I could kill all of Oikawa's hordes of chicken in her farm and make a chicken suit out of it."

Ushijima frowned at him. "I did an errand from the Adventurer's Hall along the way. And please don't kill Oikawa's chickens, she wouldn't like that and might hunt you--"

"'Toshi, we've been married for like two years now and you still don't understand jokes."

"Oh."

Tendou lets a playful laugh escape his lips while Ushijima suddenly pauses, thinking.

"Which reminds me, we need to take on the quest issued to us by the State."

Tendou quickly sits up in bed.
"What, really? The State itself? Have you told Semisemi and the others?"

"Yes, they happened to be there when I was summoned. You happened to be at Kuroo-san's shop together with Bokuto-san that day."

"Oh. What did they say?"

"Silver Parliament and The Feline Alliance party members are back."

"What, really?? Have they found a new Mage, then?"

"I'm afraid not. They haven't replaced the Great Mages. However, the quest issued to us by the State will actually involve us with those two parties, of which I previously mentioned."

Tendou sighs. "What do they want us to do with them?"

Ushijima hums. "Huh. You had the same expression as Semi."

"'Toshi..."

"Right. As I was saying, the book about you, it apparently spread to neighbouring cities, and those parties happened to read it, well, Assassin Yaku Morisuke-san from The Feline Alliance and Guardian Washio Tatsuki from Silver Parliament."

"And?"

"They apparently said that the composition of the book was oddly familiar."

Tendou sent a knowing stare into Ushijima'a direction.

"Pah, our help isn't what they need. We don't know anything about their affliation with the Great Mages. We don't know them, too. They don't know us, too. If I were to borrow Semisemi and ShiraBangs' words, 'it's an utterly complete waste of time."

"Should I tell them that you don't want to get involved?"

"I'd rather not affiliate myself with issues of the people of whom can bend the material world and can shift a person's fate."

"I understand. I shall inform everyone about this matter that you discussed with me."

"Before you do that, sit down and let me tell you a story."

"Is it really the time for this--"

"Wakatoshiiiii~"

Eventually, Ushijima gave in. He can't turn Tendou down. He can't deny Tendou anything.

"Long ago, there was a little boy, whom was always left desolated, confined in his own prison of self-hatred. Everyone called him a monster, a beast, or just a weird freak kid."

Tendou smiles.

"He grew up to be a tall, skinny boy. Apart from the loneliness, he was just any other kid out there. Going to school and going back to home. Not until he hears the sound of a ball bouncing off the court."

Ushijima was confused. "What?"

"He knew, it was the sport that was going to change his life. Volleyball, was the name. His position was to be a middle blocker, creating a powerful team with two salt shakers, a 101% done with everything, a 'patience-is-a-virtue' man, a hyped up dreamer with cool bangs, a small man with a cocky grin, and an amazing ace. With that powerful team, they were a powerhouse school."

"I don't understand. What is volleyball?"

Tendou shook his head, pressing a finger to Ushijima's lips.

"Unfortunately, all's well doesn't always end well for that boy. One night on his way home from practice, he met two high schoolers from Tokyo. One being a powerful ace, and the other one a middle blocker."

Ushijima was becoming more confused at the moment. "Tokyo? I have never heard of such a place."

"The two men looked at him in pity, both saying, 'You're in the same boat, huh? Would you like to listen to us for a bit?'"

Tendou laughs. "That boy listened to the two men's story, finding it surprisingly similar to his experience as well. That's when the boy knew, he only gets to play volleyball during those 3 years of highschool. After that, he and his team will part ways, chances of not being able to see each other again, as they all have a different path to take and choose from."

"Isn't that like a curse or something? That's sad, only being able to do what you love for only three years."

"Well, it's not a curse. It's a system. It's their world."

Ushijima nods, and Tendou continues.

"He realizes he got so little time in his hands left, so he spent those years befriending and getting close to his team. He especially admired the amazing ace. All went fairly well. Sure, there are wins and losses, but that what make sports fun, right? It was all good, until graduation had to come."

"..."

"He couldn't help but cry. The boy wanted the amazing ace not to forget him, as well as the other members of his team."

"He won't."

"Hmm?"

Ushijima puts a finger on his chin. "I mean, the ace can't forget that tall, skinny boy, right? He probably gave him so much to remember."

Tendou smiles at him. "Really?"

"He will come back to him. Someday. When they cross paths again. It's a promise. Or, maybe that's how I wanted it to end. I'm sorry for interfering--"

Tendou hugs Ushijima. "No, it was the right ending. Thank you, 'Toshi."

Ushijima broke the hug and prepped his belongings.

"I should go back to the State Palace now."

"Tell them that Koutarou-kun and Tetsurou-san aren't ready to face them yet, and they will never be, because it's their punishment to atone, living a life in a lost identity."

"I'm sorry, what?"

Tendou just chuckles. "Gee, why can't you understand jokes, Wakkun?"

"Oh."