Chapter 6: Tales of the East

(Third Person Point of View)

"I was scared." Bokuto quietly laughed while Kuroo sighed heavily. "My doubts got me blind."

"I remember it clear as if that day was just yesterday. Kuroo and I were in the public library, and Kuroo here, being the smartass douche as she is, read about a book titled 'of Mages and Magic'. And there she read about the Mages' curse."

Kuroo held her chin. "Of course, I showed it to Bokuto, explaining that it could happen to us. But deep inside, we both knew we wanted that it couldn't happen to us. We have so much to lose."

Bokuto smiled sadly. "I cried rivers that day. We knew that we wanted for it not to happen to us, yet, deep inside we knew, we were already in it."

Kuroo patted Bokuto's head. "No wonder there was something about her that the others didn't have. Kageyama, too. I told him what we knew, but of course, he didn't believe it. It took some time for him to accept it, since he had gotten so close to everyone in the team, especially their assassin, Hinata."

Bokuto took Kuroo's hand and squeezed it.
"Kuroo. She was always the strongest when it comes to feelings between the two of us. The one day, she came to me and broke down, saying she couldn't take it anymore, not since knowing what they all showed was under the inspiration of a lie."

Kuroo continued patting Bokuto's head.
"We cried like babies that day, didn't we, bro?"

Tendou was at a loss of words. What the hell should he do now, knowing that he can't look at Ushijima and the others the same again?

Tendou wanted to break the damned curse. He wanted to be free of the lies.

Being lonely is far more better than having friends that are only a mere illusion.

Bokuto squeezed Tendou's hand, seeing as the poor boy was looking down, unsure of what to feel.

"We came back to the library," Kuroo continued "to see if there was some way to break the spell. The process in breaking it was hard, and I am telling you that you wouldn't like it. Worse, maybe you can't bear it."

"I'll do what I can do, Kuroo-san."
Tendou says, determined.

Bokuto gripped both of Tendou's hands now.
"Tendou, I want you to know that after all this, we'll always be here, okay?"

"Thanks, Bokuto-san."

Kuroo looked at Tendou sadly. "Then again, after the process is complete, there are two possible outcomes. One, after the curse is broken, they will forget everything about you, even the fact that you were their Mage."

Tendou blinked. No way, there's no way they could forget him.

Damn, who the hell am I anyway? I'm nothing. It's okay if they forget me. There are better Mages out there. Tendou tried convincing himself but his heart ached in every possible way.

Kuroo continued. "Two, if they didn't forget you, their feelings were real. Therefore they were not affected by the curse of Spellbound Affection since their love for you was real."

Was it real? What Semi, Shirabu, Goshiki, and Reon showed him, was it actually real?

What Ushijima felt about him, was it real?

Tendou couldn't decide. Part of him believed it was under the influence of the spell, but the other half of him wanted to believe that they were real.

"Of course, Kuroo and I tried doing the process, 'cause, why not." Bokuto, then sighed heavily. "But it came to my mind that I was just pitying myself if I did try to break the curse. Should I feel lonely and hurt if they forgot about me? Even if their feelings were indeed real, should I be thankful? It felt like I was just wallowing in self-pity."