Chapter fourteen:

Momma drama

Haley

"How have you been sweetie?" She asked me and it took a lot in me not to cry.

I haven't heard her gentle voice in ages. I still remember how that same exact voice used to sing me back to sleep when I woke up from a nightmare.

"Uh, y-yeah. I've been better," I said weakly. This was so strange. I used to tell my mother everything, now I had no idea what to even say.

"Oh sweetie! Would you like to talk about it?" She asked me and I frowned deeply. Why did I call again?

"No. I...I called to see how you were," I told her. I actually wanted to tell her I called because I missed hearing her voice and having her here to help me, but I didn't say any of that. I didn't have to tell her any of that. I believed she knew.

"Oh honey, I'm fine. I just miss you and your brother. I called but you aren't ever at home or you're asleep," She explained.

"Yeah, I've been very busy with school and everything," I lied. I didn't really want to tell her what I've been really up to. She walked out on me anyways, so why does she deserve to know?

"And how is your brother?" She asked me and my gaze immediately shifted to the picture of me and Keith on my desk.

"He's okay. He's been busy with school and stuff as well. You know college and everything," I explained lamely. It's weird because I didn't really have much to say to her.

"Well I was meaning to tell you both this sooner but I could never seem to reach both of you. I'm glad you called so I can tell you," She said and I immediately frowned.

"Tell us what?" I asked her. To say I wasn't nervous about what ever she had to tell me would be a lie.

That's the thing about my mother. She was so spontaneous that you never really knew what to expect from her. So of course we never expected her to leave us. It was so unexpected but at the same time only my mother can pull unforeseen shit like that.

"Haley, I'm getting married," She said very slowly and apprehensively.

Time stopped and suddenly we were back home at the old house. Me and Keith were playing catch with a then puppy version of Sophie and mom and dad were sitting next to each other, smiling so brightly. Everything was perfect then. What had happened?

"What?" I whispered in shock.

"Me and Gustavo are getting married and I would like-"

"Why are you getting married!" I shouted in disbelief.

Suddenly everything was so real. I had lost her.

"Because me and Gustavo love each other and when two people love each other they-"

"I know what a bloody marriage is! I'm not an idiot!" I yelled in frustration and anger.

"Haley calm down. Please," She begged but I was already too worked up to bother.

"No! I will not calm down! Why are you marrying him?! Don't we mean a single thing to you?!" I screamed, not caring if I was getting too loud.

"Haley-" She tried speaking but I cut her off.

"How could you do this?!" I cried out. I finally let all the tears and bottled up emotions go.

"You wrecked me," I sobbed out. "You destroyed me! You abandoned me. You of all people! You're supposed to always be there for me but instead you chose to leave!" I was crying so much at this point.