Part 16: Secret

Andi's POV

All the details of Amber's house are the same—the television speakers still crackle whenever a sound louder than a normal talking voice plays out, there's still a half-read copy of an Oprah magazine lying on the coffee table, and the golden orange light still dangles too low from the ceiling—yet it feels so different. Maybe it's because I'm lying on the couch with Amber's arms around me this time, rather than just sitting next to each other. Or it could feel new because I'm now not afraid to weave her hand into mine and hold it next to my cheek. 

"I would definitely enter into the Tri-Wizard Tournament," Amber says as we watch Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire playing on the TV. 

"I would not," I state. "It just seems like a pointless way for someone to prove they're brave."

"You don't want to be brave?"

"I'm a Ravenclaw," I respond. "I don't need to be."

"My girlfriend is a Ravenclaw? I've only ever dated Slytherins, so this is a nice change."

I look up at her as I say, "Girlfriend?"

"Girlfriend?" she copies, her eyes open in question as she checks to see if her statement is okay with me. 

I smile. "Your girlfriend is a Ravenclaw."

She grins, and I turn my eyes back to the TV, watching the scene where Harry eats the gillyweed and jumps into the water. 

"Cedrick was a Hufflepuff," Amber reminds me. "He did the tournament."

"You can do the tournament," I tell her. "I'll just support you from the sidelines."

"Like you'll do for every quidditch match."

"No offence, Amber," I say, "but I'd be shunned if I cheered for the Slytherins instead of my own house, even with my girlfriend on Slytherin's team."

"Okay, that's valid," Amber responds with a laugh. 

Right when Harry comes back up to the surface of the lake, the front door is pushed open, startling both Amber and I into sitting up. We relax again when we see that it's just her brother, whom I've seen in the photos around her house. 

"Oh, it's you," Amber says. 

He kicks off his shoes, looking gloomy as he walks over to see what we're watching. 

"How was your date?" Amber asks. 

"It was, um . . ." he pauses to consider his response, looking down at the floor. "I think I screwed things up with Cyrus."

"Cyrus?" I cut in. 

"Oh, yeah," Amber's brother responds. "He said he knew you."

"Wait, so you're TJ?"

He nods. "I'm Amber's brother."

"Oh," I respond. "That's a funny coincidence."

Amber gives me a smile before looking back to her brother. 

"So what happened with Cyrus?" Amber asks.

"Uh, can I talk to you in the kitchen?" he wonders. 

Amber nods then tells me, "I'll be back in a few minutes."

"Yeah, of course," I say. 

She gets up from the couch and follows TJ out of the living room. I reach for the remote on the coffee table and pause the movie. Right as I do, my phone rings out, and I see that Cyrus is video-calling the group chat with Buffy, Jonah and I. I answer, and the screen opens up to Cyrus' frown with his room as a background. Buffy and Jonah join in a second later, and the screen splits further.