f i v e

Katniss's POV

I went to follow Gale, and he stopped as If he was looking at something. I stopped slightly behind him and looked at what he was. I felt as if my heart stopped as my breath caught in my throat. There standing feet away was our daughter. Lake. She looked from me to Gale with a confused and shocked look. I studied her for a second before she gave me a look I knew all to well with people. Especially Gale, Hazelle, Rory, and Prim. That's when I knew. She heard every thing, she saw everything. I wanted to say something, but I couldn't. I have lied to her-her whole life and now...now she doesn't know what to think. A pain start to throb in my chest. What was I supposed to tell her? How was I supposed to tell her? I had planned telling her some day, and some way. This...This was not the time and place I wanted it to happen. Lake looks from me to Gale back to me in shock, confusion, anger, hurt. There were so many more emotions that play processes our daughters face.

"L-Lake." I stuttered as I finally find my voice.

    Lake shook her head and stumbled back, she ended up running into the woods. I wanted to run after her but I was frozen. Tears feel down my face as I watch my daughter disappear form sight. I was the worst mother in the world. I gripped Gale's arm to stop him from walking away.

"This isn't on me." He states and rips his arm from my grip. I step in font of him to stop him from walking away. His grey eyes meet mine. Anger, sadness, fear, play across his face.

"You are going to help me find her and you are going to help me explain." I snap and grip his arm tightly.

   He glares at me. I am not explain this alone. When Lake is mad she doesn't listen to me. She has both Gale and I's stubbornness. Besides there are so many places in these woods she loves to hid in. Lord knows which hiding spot she is in. Plus Gale knows all these places. He doesn't answer me just rips his arm from my grip once again and goes to walk away. I push his shoulder forcefully he stumbles back slightly.

"She is your daughter." I state glaring at him.

"I'll make things worse." He mutters.

"You. Are. Her. Father." I bark.

"No. No.I'm. Not." He barks back.

"Just because you haven't raised her doesn't mean you aren't her father. You are the reason that our girl is in the world." I state.

"I raised her for a month Katniss and then I went back to district two." Gale says, anger reflecting his voice. He was right, he had raised her for a month while I was as drunk as Haymitch used to be. 

"If it wasn't for you, we wouldn't have her." I whisper.

  Gale sighs. I grab his wrist and tug him towards the woods. He sighs once again and slips his wrist from my hand and puts his hand in mine. I look up at him and he slightly nods his head. So together we walk into the woods looking for our daughter.

Lake's POV

   I sit curled up in Grandpa's couch. He wasn't home, nor was Grandma Effie. They were traveling to see some friends, so the house was empty. I couldn't believe what I had seen. My mother and the solider together. Arguing about me. Kissing. Arguing about me. The words 'our daughter' were used a lot. There was something I was missing from listing to them argue about me. I can fell the tears falling down my face. Mom had lied to me. My mother had lied to me.

"Your father's dead, Lake."

"He's not coming Lake!"

"Your father loved you."

   I let out more and more sobs. Mom lied to me. Grandma Hazelle lied. Uncle Rory Lied, Uncle Vicky Lied, Aunt Posy lied. Grandpa lied. Grandma Effie lied. They all lied to me. They all lied about my father, to what? Keep me safe? To hurt me? My father was the person I least excepted.

It was the solider I had spent so much time with in school.

It was no one other than, Gale Hawthorne.

A/N

Thank you @Summer29102
you took me off my writers block and helped me re-write this chapter. If you guy haven't go follow her and read her two fan-fictions. They are amazing and hit you in the feels.