Chapter 4

Jack had given me some time off work. After finding out about my apartment burning down something seemed to click in my head. I wasn't functioning properly anymore. Something about the thought of someone targeting me, even if they weren't actually after me, made my senses heighten and I was suddenly scared of anything and everything.

Jack had seen how much I was struggling to keep a hold of my mental health and had suggested that I go and see a therapist. His name was Hannibal Lecter. I was extremely wary of going to see a therapist as it made it seem so much more real that I was going crazy. I told him i'd think about it, I knew that I probably wasn't going to go but I wanted to entertain the idea so that Jack would stop talking about it.

I had briefly met Hannibal before we were all sat in Jack's office. I didn't know how to feel about him, but I usually felt that way when I met new people.

"Tell me then, how many confessions?" Hannibal asked in his strange accent that I couldn't figure out where it was from.

"Twelve dozen last time I checked. None of them knew details. Until this morning. Then everyone knew details. Some genius in Duluth PD took a picture of Elise Nichols' body with their phone and shared it with a few close friends. Freddy Lounds ran it on Tattlecrime.com" Jack answered.

"Tasteless." Will commented. At this I chuckled and Will looked over to me.

Hannibal looked over to Will, who was still looking at me and said, "Do you have trouble with taste?" Will gave me one last look in my eyes before turning back to answer Hannibal. I took myself out of the conversation at this point as I thought over the last couple of days. For a while I had felt the emotional effects of this job drawing closer and closer to me. I had also grown a lot closer to Will in the last couple of days and I felt that I had finally found someone other than Jack who I was comfortable around.

I was brought back into the conversation when Hannibal addressed both me and Will. "Not fond of eye contact, are you?" He said whilst looking at both of us. I diverted my eyes and looked straight forward at Jack who was sat on the other side of the desk. Will answered for the both of us.

"Eyes are distracting. You see too much. You don't see enough. And it's hard to focus when you're thinking those whites are really white or they must have hepatitis, or is that a burst vein? So I try to avoid eyes whenever possible."

"Not Lana's though?" Hannibal asked, quirking his eyebrow up at the same time.

At this I saw Jacks' body move as he tried to supress the chuckle he had at Hannibal's bluntness whilst I saw Will glance my way. I couldn't handle the stares of the other three people in the room and I stood up from my seat. I turned to Jack, "Call me if you have anything I need to see." I pushed my chair back and placed my hand on Will's shoulder in passing to let him know that I would see him later.

*

Will came and found me after our interaction with Hannibal. He sat on the bench next to me and placed his hand on my leg to stop it from bouncing up and down. I flinched and he quickly pulled his hand away.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you." He looked nervous so I grabbed his hand and kept it in mine. I couldn't tell if he was blushing or if he was just flushed from the cold air but I kept his hand there, plus it was warming me up.

"I'm sorry for leaving in there." I said and turned to look at him.

"You have nothing to be sorry for, I get it." I sighed and moved closer to Will, placing my head on his shoulder.

"I'm so tired." I said, suddenly getting emotional and trying not to let it show by the cracks in my voice.

"Come on, we can go home."

Home.

*

It was the next day and we were examining the new body that had been found impaled with antlers in the middle of a field.

Will turned away from the body, not bearing to look at it for much longer. He glanced at me and I offered him a small smile. "Our cannibal loves women. He doesn't want to destroy them. He wants to consume them. Keep some part of them inside. This girl's killer thought she was a pig."

Jack turned to Will. "You think this is a copy cat?"

"He has a daughter. Same age as the other girls. Same hair colour, same eye colour, same height, same weight. She's an only child. She's leaving home. He can't stand the thought of losing her. She's his golden ticket."

"What about the copy cat?"

"An intelligent psychopath, particularly a sadist, is hard to catch. There's no traceable motive. There'll be no patterns. He may never kill like this again."

Will turned to me and nodded his head towards his car, having seen enough. He started to walk away and I followed him. Ducking under the police tape surrounding the scene, I turned back and looked at Jack. "Have Dr. Lecter work up a psychological profile. You seem to be impressed with his opinion."

Jack sighed, knowing the hidden hurt under my words. I gave him one last look before turning to follow Will.

*

It was the next day and Jack had sent me and Will to look at some construction yard as there was a piece of metal found and it leads back here. Me and Will had arrived separately, but Will had sent me a message to warn me that Dr. Lecter would be joining us so I had enough time to mentally prepare myself. I had gotten here before anybody else so I decided to go in and have a look at the files.

The secretary was wary and didn't want me to look through the files but she had no choice but to let me when she saw the F.B.I badge. Will and Dr. Lecter soon joined and we carried on looking through to files. The secretary was on the phone.

"Two fellas and a girl from the F.B.I. They're going through the drawers now. Putting papers in file boxes. Yes. They're taking things. No. They didn't say whe- yes, they can." She looked up at us. "What did you say your names were?"

Just at that moment Will found something that interested him. He held it up at the secretary. "Garret Jacob Hobbs."

She took a couple of seconds to think before answering. "One of our pipe threaders. Those are all the resignation letters. Plumbers union requires them whenever members finish a job."

"Did Mr Hobbs have a daughter?" I asked.

"Might have."

"Eighteen or nineteen, wind-chaffed? plain but pretty? She would have auburn hair. About this tall."

"Maybe. I don't know. I don't keep company with these people." She shrugged.

Hannibal turned to Will, blocking me from the conversation. "What is it about Garret Jacob Hobbs?"

"He left a phone number but not an address." Will replied.

"Therefore he has something to hide? Hannibal pushed Will.

Will shrugged his shoulders. "Everyone else left an address. You have an address for Mr Hobbs?" Will asked the secretary.