Chapter 1

"Everyone has thought about killing someone one way or another. Be it your own hands or the hand of God. Now think about killing Mrs. Marlow."

I had been stood here now for five minutes, and in those five minutes of watching Will Graham I was captured in the way he thought about the murders. I was waiting for Jack Crawford to come to speak to Will. Jack had asked me to be there. I looked at the pictures that were projected behind Will. I looked back down at Will and saw that he had seen me stood there listening. He stopped for a second before looking down at the ground and carrying on.

"Why did she deserve this? Tell me your design. Tell me who you are."

I felt someone brush past me and tap my shoulder. I looked forward to see Jack walking past me, nodding his head to tell me to follow him. I brushed past all of the trainees as they left the room. Will carried on talking to the students as they left the room.

"The sad, dull truth of these crimes is they can usually be reduced to a male penetrative control issue. I am expecting a higher level of scrutiny."

The last of the trainees leave and Will finally notices me and Jack walking towards him.

"Mr Graham." Jack greets him.

Will fumbles with his glasses before quickly putting them on.

"I'm Special Agent Jack Crawford. I lead the Behavioural Science Unit."

"We've met."

"Yes, we had a disagreement about the museum when we opened it."

Will scoffed. "I disagreed with what you named it."

"The Evil Minds Research Museum?" Jack questioned.

"It's a little hammy, Jack." Jack smirks at this before continuing.

"You've hitched your horse to a teaching post. I understand it's not easy for you to be sociable."

"I'm just talking to them. I'm not listening to them. It's not social." I instantly could relate to Will. If it wasn't for Jack being so damn stubborn on me working with him, I would have quit ages ago. Jack had become a fatherly figure to me, protecting me from the things I didn't like about the job. Being social was one of them.

I zoned out of their conversation, not bothering to hear Jack trying to convince Will to come work on the case. I looked at the pictures on the screen that were still being projected. The image started to move. The woman, whose name I didn't know, turned her neck. More of her blood poured out. She slowly mouthed the words, "It's all your fault, You couldn't save us."

I jumped when I felt a hand on my shoulder. My eyes darted around the room until they landed on Will. He looked concerned. "Where's Jack?" I asked, my hands shaky and my eyes threatening to spill tears.

"He got a phone call and had to go, he said for us to meet him in his office. Are you okay?" Will asked, he seemed genuinely concerned and I applauded him for his bravery in being social with me, a complete stranger who he didn't even know the name of.

"Yeah I'm fine, i'm just being stupid." I wiped my eyes to stop any falling tears and closed my hands together in tight fists to stop them from shaking. "We best go, don't want to leave Jack waiting. My names Lana by the way." I quickly turned around not wanting to see the picture on the wall anymore.

"What's your second name?" Will shouted as I left the room.

I turned back around and smiled. "Brown."

*

After briefing Will on all of the missing girls, including the most recent, Elise Nichols, we found ourselves sat in the young girls house. Talking to the parents of the victim was not something that came easily to me and I could tell that Will was not having fun in this situation. We both sat next to each other, across from Elise's parents, whilst Jack stood at the head of the table. Jack was obviously talking to the parents, trying to get some valuable information about where she could have gone.

"She could have gone off by herself. She was a very interior young woman. She didn't like living in a dorm. I could see how the pressure of school might have gotten to her. She likes trains. Maybe she just got on the train and..." It was painful listening to Mr Nichols trying to rationalize their daughters disappearance.

Mrs Nichols who had been silent until this point spoke up. "She looks like the other girls."

Jack nodded, sadly. "She fits the profile."

Mr Nichols went to say something before retreating looking as if he wanted to say something but didn't know if he wanted to really know the answer. "Could Elise still be alive?" He asked, wincing whilst waiting for the answer.

Jack shook his head. "We simply have no way of knowing."

I jumped slightly when Will spoke from beside me. "How's the cat?"

Mrs Nichols furrowed her eyebrows looking confused. "What?"

Will carried on. "How's your cat? Elise was supposed to feed it. Was the cat weird when you came home? It didn't eat all weekend. Must have been hungry." I could immediately see the connection Will had made.

"I didn't notice."

"He took her from here." Will stopped, almost looking at Jack for permission to continue. "She got on a train. She came home. She fed the cat and he took her."

Jack didn't hesitate before he picked up his phone and dialled some numbers. I looked at Will in fascination. How he had made those connections so easily was beyond me. He was truly talented.

"The Nichols house is a crime scene. I need ERT immediately. Zeller, Katz, Jimmy Price, a photographer." I looked over at the Nichols to see them looking confused and flustered.

"Why is it now a crime scene?" Mr Nichols asked.

"Can I see your daughter's room?" Will asked.

"Police were up there this morning." Mr Nichols said, but still lead the way. Will got up from the table and nodded his head towards me. I knew this meant he wanted me to go with them.

Me and Will both pulled on a pair of plastic gloves as we walked towards the door. The cat pawing at the door was an instant give away that what ever was on the other side, wasn't good. Mr Nichols went to reach for the door knob but Will stopped him before he could touch it.

"I'll get that. Mr Nichols, would you put your hands in your pockets and avoid touching anything please?" Will asked.

"We've been in and out of here all day." You could tell that Mr Nichols was getting more and more impatient, which may have been caused by both mine and Wills anti social behaviour.

"You can hold the cat if it's easier." Mr Nichols reached down and picked up thee cat, as instructed by Will. Will then went to open the door.

As soon as we stepped into the room, me and Will both noticed that Elise was lying on the bed. The puncture wounds in her and the absence of breathing was a sure sign that Elise was dead. But Mr Nichols didn't notice and stepped forward.

"Elise?" He asked, hope in his voice.

I stepped forward before Will could and gently pushed Mr Nichols out of the room. "I need you to leave the room please."