Chapter 3

I hadn't stopped shaking. Will hadn't stopped holding me. He laid me down in his bed and brought the covers over me. Tucking me in like a child. I still had tears running down my face, not being able to stop them. I felt completely helpless. Will had only known me for around a day and a half and he'd already seen me fall apart.

I sniffed and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry." I croaked out. Will took a seat on the floor next to the bed, leaning over it to take my hand. He looked at my face and wiped the fresh tears that were falling down it. He gave me a small smile.

"You have nothing to be sorry for." I smiled at this and closed my eyes, feeling the events of today taking their toll on me. I never had much luck with sleeping anyway. I hadn't slept for about 2 days, but that was something normal to me so I had no problem functioning normally. It just caught up with me sometimes. I felt Will move his other hand to my hair, smoothing it down with his hand in a comforting way.

I felt him start to get up off of the floor. I instantly gripped his hand and opened my eyes. "Please don't leave me." I said, a fresh set of tears welling up in my eyes. "I'm not going anywhere."

I moved up and made space for Will in the bed, pulling the covers back. He got in and pulled the covers back over us both. He pulled me into his arms, wrapping them around me and pulling me closer into his chest. I put my arms around him, getting as close to him as possible. I needed the comfort. I felt myself slowly falling to sleep in the comfort of Will Graham's arms.

*

I woke up in the comfort of Will's bed, but Will was no longer there. I took a couple of seconds to wake myself up properly and got out of the bed. As I got up and went to find my phone out of my jacket pocket which was hanging up Will walked out of the bathroom. We nearly bumped into each other but I stepped out of the way before we did. "Sorry." I gave a shaky laugh, seemingly not fully recovered from last nights happenings. "It's fine, you don't have to apologise all the time you know?" I nodded, a small blush on my face.

"It's a habit, sorry." I put my hand over my mouth after saying that and laughed. Will found this funny and also laughed. I had to fight the urge to say sorry again. It really was a tricky habit.

"Jack called, he wants us both to go in. Nothing urgent I don't think. Just to go in and review the case." I nodded and excused myself to go and use the bathroom and freshen myself up.

*

As soon as we got to headquarters, Will had gone straight to the toilets. I figured I should go and talk to Jack but before I could get to his office he was walking towards me in the hallway.

"Where's Will?" I could see that he was getting frustrated.

"Toilets." He carried on walking. I followed behind wanting to know what was going on. I decided to wait outside though deciding that I didn't want to get involved in whatever Jack was going to say. I could still hear their conversation though and I decided that it was important enough for me to get involved. I stepped in, Jack turned around getting ready to turn me away like he had done with the other person who walked in two minutes ago. He nodded his head at me and I caught Will's eyes in the mirror.

"Do you respect my judgement, Will?" Jack asked.

"Yes."

"We have a better chance of catching this guy if your in the saddle."

"I'm in the saddle. Just confused which direction I'm pointing. I don't know this kind of psychopath. Never read about him. I don't even know if he's a psychopath. He's not insensitive. He's not shallow."

"You could tell something about him or you wouldn't've said this was an apology. What's he apologizing for."

I spoke up this time, "Couldn't honour her. He feels bad."

"Feeling bad defeats the purpose of being a psychopath, doesn't it?"

I nodded, "Yes it does."

Jack turned back to Will. "Then what kind of crazy is he?"

"He couldn't show her he loved her so he put her corpse back where he killed it. Whatever crazy that is."

"You think he loves these girls?"

"He loves one of them, and I think by association, he has some form of love for the others."

"There was no semen or saliva. Elise Nichols died a virgin and that corpse kept her promise."

I visibly became uncomfortable after Jack said that, but Jack didn't see, only Will saw. He nodded at me and I nodded back.

"That's not how he's loving them. He wouldn't disrespect them that way. He doesn't want these girls to suffer. He kills them quickly and, to his thinking, with mercy."

"The sensitive psychopath. He risked getting caught to tuck Elise Nichols back into bed."

"He has to take the next girl soon. He knows he's going to get caught. One way or another."

Jack sighed before taking one last look at both me and Will and leaving. Will turned to look at me. "You okay?" I shrugged.

"I'm not really sure what I am. I'll be fine though. Don't worry." Will walked towards me taking my hand in his.

"I know we only just met the other day Lana, but I can't help but feel protective over you. I don't want you to think I'm being weird or anything so if you don't like me or want me stay away then just tell me and I'll leave you alone." Will looked extremely nervous and like he wanted my company just as much as I wanted his.

I immediately pulled him into a hug. "I wouldn't dream of telling you to leave me alone. You've helped me so much already in the span of two days and I hope I can repay you for that." Will was going to reply when my phone started to ring and cut him off.

"Sorry, I need to get this." I pulled away from the hug and reached into my pocket to get my phone. It was a number I didn't recognise.

"Hello, Is this Lana Brown?"

"Yes, this is she."

"We're terribly sorry but you're apartment has burned down. There isn't much of your belongings that survived the fire. We suspect this is the work of an arsonist so it has now become a crime scene." I was stunned. I didn't expect something like this to happen to me and I had no idea if the arsonist was random or targeted. Tears welled up in my eyes. Will looked worried. He couldn't hear the other side of the conversation so I could understand.

"Is there anyway I could come have a look around. I'm a special agent with the F.B.I."

"Yes of course, is there somewhere else you could stay in the meantime?" I shook my head and then remembered that he couldn't see me.

"I'm not entirely sure right now, i'm sure i'll find somewhere though."

"Okay well if you cannot find anywhere then contact me on this number and I will sort out some accommodation for you."

I quickly thanked the kind man and hung up the phone. Will was looking at me for answers.

"An arsonist burnt down my apartment, I don't have many things left. I'm gonna go have a look for myself and I need to see if there's any cheap motels close by."

Will shook his head. "You're not staying in a motel, you can stay with me." I met his eyes. "Are you sure?"

"Of course I am, you're welcome to stay for as long as you need."