Chapter 2: The Wall to Dorne

The more north you were the less you felt like yourself. You were never allowed to identify as a Targaryen, but you sure did feel like one. Trying to stay strong for Bran and Rickon was proving more difficult as the days wore on. Nights were the worst though. Sleeping in the hard winter grounds was nearly impossible for you. You, Bran, and Rickon all held each other close in order to stay warm. Though the comfort was minimal.

You looked forward to meeting Jon at the wall. There was a hope that Castle Black had some form was warmth within its walls. Or, at least a meal that wasn't freshly killed rabbit. You dreamt of Jon at night. His smile. His understanding nature. You longed to see the older man.

Bran seemed to be holding out better than when he first awoke. He smiled more. Mostly at you. A couple times you had caught him staring at you while on the back of Hodor. You pretended you didn't though. Just like you had pretended you hadn't noticed him staring while back at Winterfell growing up.

That night you set up camp again. Though you knew you were closer to the wall every passing day, your surroundings all seemed to be the same. As did your misery. As Osha lit a fire Brans eyes lit up red, and they did not leave you for a moment. He often asked you why you were so sad. You often didn't answer.

When the sun fell completely you huddled up together once more. Sleep finally captured you, as did a dream. In this dream you were a dragon. Flying high above an unknown place. There was trees you had never seen. Cities you had never heard of. And, people who looked just like you. If you looked right there was an ocean. If you looked left there was a great sand city. Though you hated the word sand, and this world was nothing but it, you had never felt more at home. You wished to stay in this scaled body forever. In this unknown place with unknown people forever. But, the world seemed to like to rip you away from any hopes you dared create.

A low angry growl erupted from summers throat. You were the first to awaken, then Osha. She quickly shot up and looked around. You both spot a figure running off in the distance. She grabbed a spear and ran after it. You grab Brans arm to awaken him.

Suddenly a cloak figure slowly made its way towards you. Your grip tightened on Brans arm in fear. Your eyes dart around looking for a weapon, for anything, that could fend off this unknown person. As usual in the north only snow lay on the grounds.

As the man drew closer his body swayed side to side. He did not possess an intimidating presence, in fact the closer he came the more you realized his youth. He was not much older than you and Bran. Finally, Summer jumps between you two. The boy stops and looks down at her with a smile.

"You must be Summer." He states.

A rustling could be heard from behind the boy, but before he could react Osha appeared behind him with a spear that rested in the back of his neck. The boy halted all movements.

"Move and you die." Osha threatens.

"I'm unarmed."

"That was dumb of you." She laughs.

"My sister carries the weapons." The boy smiles as a knife appears at the base of Oshas throat.

"I'm better with them." The girl behind Osha says. Osha slowly drops her spear.

Summer growls at the boy once more as he steps closer to her. He holds out his hand and allows the dog to smell him. You pray she rips his hand from his arm. Instead, she puts her head down and walks away. You look up at the man completely vulnerable.

"Brandon." The boy says looking right past you.  You turn your head to look at Bran. "We've come a long way to find you."

His man was Jojen. Jojen and Meera Reed. His father knew Brans father. He helped Ned in Robert Baratheon's war, and Jojen wished to help Bran. As you walked further north your eyes occasionally glanced up to Jojen. As Brans eyes glanced up at you. Bran took notice of your lingering glances. His lingered back to his legs. His useless legs. He often wondered if that's why your eyes never landed on him.

Jojen began telling you and Bran stories about their fathers. Amazing sword fights, impossible battles, and traveling all of the Seven kingdoms. The Wall to Dorne. He even spoke of your father. Ned never told you much about him. You were never sure how well they knew each other. Jojen told you how your father and Ned were close before his death.

Often you wondered what life would have been like if your father had been alive. If your mother had actually loved him, or loved you. What if you were able to have lived in Dorne. In the warmth, without being a bastard or an embarrassment. Without being a Targaryen. You sometimes wondered what if you had died along side your father, or even if you had never been born, then you would have never have had to known what being a mistake was. You'd never have to feel the cold. Or the rejection of the North.

What you didn't know was you weren't rejecting by everyone. Some people cared for you. And, their eyes watched over you more often than you'd ever realized.