tip #6: imagery

Three years later and you come back and try to help us bitch? I know, I know I completely neglected y'all. I apologize. Apparently, time really does fly by. It seems it was just yesterday I wanted to update this then I looked up, its 2019.

Hahahaaaa ha ahem. Anyways, as I refreshed my memory off the previous chapters, this tip is on being descriptive, or vivid. The easy way. Of course, many of us have a very comfortable set of words we use day to day, I say comfortable because we usually don't use big words outside of the few in our normal vocabulary. Then again, some of us may.

The tip is to venture out with your vocabulary and learn new, bigger words that literally means the same thing as smaller words.

Confused > bewildered, discombobulated
Looked > peered, glanced, glimpse at
Walked > stepped, footed

Just a few examples. What I do, if I don't know a bigger word just off top of my head, I'll google or double tap the word and take a look at the synonyms for that word and use one of those. That's literally the easiest way to me. Takes a little more time during your writing flow, but it is worth it!

Now, when it comes to being descriptive to where your audience can visualize what you see, write what you envision in your head. However you see the scene or part you're writing, write that word for word. The readers should have a clear idea of what you're writing—from what the character; sees, hears, feels, smells, thinks, tastes or touches. Incorporate the seven senses.

Is it seven? Or is it five?

Could be four. Depends on your character really. Could have a blind or deaf person in story so y'know. Apply properly.

Being descriptive is all about connecting in an imaginary way. Give it your best shot.

Write an in-line comment using all seven senses I listed to practice

Write an in-line comment using all seven senses I listed to practice. C'mon, let me hear it. This'll be 10% of your tip graduation grade.