Chapter 39 A Mountain Cannot Accommodate Two Tigers

Money was tight and Uncle Tong was obviously a traitor. I was scared that Feng Zhao Wen would suddenly release a marriage decree and ruined my dream to be a common person. I had to step up my effort to earn money. Every day, I would run around the capital to make living; little did I know of the problem heading my way.

After receiving the money upon sending jars of wine, I saved it in my money bag and sent all the four personal maids back to our residence. I strolled around until afternoon. There was nothing left to see, so I simply head back home. However, on my way back home, a tan young man with bushy beard blocked the alley heading to my home. I originally intended to take this secluded alley as shortcut. The alleys around noble people's homes were usually unfrequented by regular people. That man was a head taller than me. He walked towards me, looking very firm and imposing. I pretended to brush dirt off my boot while secretly taking out a dagger I hid in it. When that young man was right in front of me, I jumped on him like a rabbit.

He suddenly gave a familiar painful yelp, clutching his stomach while crouching on the ground. He yelled at me, "Xiao Yi! Xiao Yi, how can you treat me like this?"

His voice was too familiar, but the person in front of me was not. Deep inside, I did not have the courage to acknowledge who he was. It was when I pulled his ears to pick him up and he did not protest was I finally sure who that person was. "Xiao Huang, what are you doing here looking so shady like that?"

From my experience in the past, he would usually beg for mercy while trying to protect his ear. But today, his two hands were clutching his stomach. Blood was flowing out from the crack of his fingers while he continued screaming, too preoccupied to care for his ear.

I remembered that Feng Zhao Wen had ordered Tian Bing Qing to spread a verbal decree a few says ago, saying that the remnants of the Great Chen's rebels had appeared in the capital. He told us to be careful.

...... Honestly speaking though, Uncle Tong and I were both remnants of the Great Chen.....

Xiao Huang tearfully looked at me, "Xiao Yi, you have gotten more and more violent."

I poked at his wounds and caused him to cry out in pain again. I completely agreed with what he just said.

"En, I have gotten more violent. But you looked like you were going to rob me just now. Did you expect me to sit still and let you get away with it?"

Honestly, I wanted to throw 180 daggers to him. Not because of what happened for the past three years, but because of what his mother did to my father. But then again, there were chances that he was not the empress dowager's biological son. I needed to verify that first.

Uncle Tong watched as I supported a young man in through our side door. My dagger was plunged into the young man's stomach. He was shocked, "Xiao Lang, you assaulted a thug?"

I had never been one to uphold justice in society, his expectation for me was too high.

E Huang's bulged eyes were watery as she retreated backwards, "You actually dragged the victim back here to get rid of the corpse." She screamed out loud, "I would never steal the pears from the backyard again!"

I finally found out why there were so little fruits on that tree lately.

"I want to bury this person under that pear tree and turn him into a fertilizer."

E Huang shivered harder than Xiao Huang.

The four personal maids I had were truly competent and professional. They stepped forward and grabbed Xiao Huang before solemnly reassuring me, "Miss, it is better to leave these kind of things to us. We assure you, we will turn him into a fertilizer properly, not a single trace will be left behind."