Chapter 4 - The Frightening Last Meal Before Decapitation

After the prison breakout, likely because the most important person had already been taken, leaving only me, an insignificant outlaw, Yan Ping didn't use the prisoner's cart anymore. He bought a carriage and placed me inside and then also sat himself inside, accompanying me for the entire journey into the capital.

Although his countenance was bad for the entire journey, sometimes, the gaze with which he watched me would unavoidably cause a person's hair to stand on end. I couldn't help but feel that this person's previously gentle temper was becoming more and more gloomy. But seeing that he never unsheathed the sword on his waist, I secretly speculated. If he were to draw that sword and face me, what were my odds of winning? Afterwards, I discovered that the circumstances were incredibly in my favor. Thus, I reassuredly continued to eat and drink.

There's just one thing, no matter how many times I requested it of him, asking to bathe just once, so that even if I had to die, I could be a clean ghost, I am always ruthlessly rejected.

"The road to the Yellow Springs is as dark as ink. A bit dirty, a bit clean, what difference does it make?" he said, with a smile that wasn't a smile.

I felt that this tone of his didn't carry any good intentions. Knowing that he has always loved cleanliness, but was forced to be cooped up for entire days inside this carriage, which had already been polluted by my smelliness, caused me to be exceptionally apologetic. "It's been hard on general Yan Ping, to be suffocated by this humble one. This humble one is truly to blame!"

Nevertheless, he reached his hand out and patted me on the shoulder. "What kind of relationship exists between you and I? In those days, we pretended to be husband and wife, and were even once the subject of homosexual rumors. When did I ever turn my back on you?"

I've always maintained a respectable distance from people who have bad memory. These people, when there is nothing better, will make sweet promises and speak honeyed words. When there is something better, they play the reneging game. The most hateful thing is, while others still firmly remember their oath, these people had already one-sidedly cast aside what they once said.

The person before my eyes is a typical example.

I shook my head. Using the oily hand I had just used to gnaw on drumsticks with, I stroked the hand on my shoulder. Laughing happily, "General Yan spoke extremely well!" Unexpectedly, the cool flesh beneath my hand didn't pull away even by a little bit. I secretly theorized: don't tell me, this person is also getting close to me for the army seal?

It's just, that thing, when have I ever even seen it?

Half a month quickly flitted by, and the capital appeared before our eyes.

After great Qi established the country, the capital was not moved. The former great Chen imperial palace simply changed its owner.

I had originally thought that an old official from the previous dynasty like me would, at most, through his majesty the emperor's imperial edict, be dragged onto the execution grounds, and be settled with a chop of the blade. Who could have guessed that the palace gate's eunuch would expressionlessly announce the imperial edict, and state that his majesty the emperor wanted to personally see me instead.

This was also right. I, with the present his majesty the great Qi emperor, had also once exchanged blows on the battlefield. Perhaps he was afraid that Yan Ping had randomly and indiscriminately arrested someone to claim credit, hoping to meet the requirements for promotion. Indeed, inspecting a subordinate's achievements was a necessary intimidation method.

Besides, in theory, three years ago, I had already been buried in that fire at the Chen imperial palace's Jin Xiu pavilion.

Actually, this great Qi emperor, Feng Zhao Wen is indeed a bit weird. Arriving at the imperial study's door, the same eunuch who had announced the imperial edict expressionlessly blocked Yan Ping. "His majesty has orally commanded, General Yan Ping is exhausted by the journey. Please return to your residence and rest. He will summon you another day. His majesty wants to call in little general An alone."