S01: E02 {Slow Life}

Eight Years Later

I've grown used to my new friends. Disabled and mentally unstable alike. I feel like the demon in me perished each day. My doctor, Dr. Sandy, respected me and my needs. I was never abused. Yet, I still I have that sickening feeling that he's only here earn money for babysitting.

My birthday was yesterday. Turned seventeen. Had a chocolate cake and presents. Of course the cake was bland and the presents were simple things from the dollar store.

In a week is my anniversary of when I first came to this wretched place. I plan to break out before that date. I know at the beginning I said I've grown to like this hospital, but my gut keeps telling me to leave. I devise my plan to escape in the laundry room.

"The only doctor's here at night are Doctor Nancy and Doctor Phil, and they'll be in Claire and Vanessa's room from ten thirty to eleven forty five. That gives me about two hours to escape. I'll—"

"You're leaving!"

My head whips to the sound to see Beatriz Sanchez. A fourteen-year-old Spanish girl. She came here, two years after I did, for attempted suicide—twice— however; she was a sweet girl. She made sure others were well before she took care of herself. She was always saying that I'm the big brother she never had.

"I am," I say, "leaving." She gripped my waist in a hug. "But you can't tell anyone."

"I'm not goin' tell. I just want to go with you."

"No, Bea." I kneel so I could be at eye level with her, "You're safe here. You have no idea of what I'm capable of. No one's safe around me. I've gotta make sure I don't hurt anyone."

"But you'd never hurt a fly!"

"Riddle me this, Bea, do you know why I'm here?" She shook her head, "Exactly. I tried to see my file, but it's not there. I would tell you everything I've done if I didn't want you around me. I don't want you to fear me."

She backed down to this, yet she still kept her usual calm expression. I grabbed my notebook and bag. I walked past her, aware of her frighten figure that changed into a shriek of horror.

Annoyed, I turned around to face her, "What?"

She pointed to my arm. It was... It was black. Pitch black. It was smooth as if there were feathers. Piper screamed more. I looked into the mirror. Inky eyes that shifted from black to white. Pale skin. Horns. I panic. I hyperventilate. I need to get out of here, I think.  I open a window.

"No. We could kill all of them easily."

"No, No! I, I, I can't do that!" I scream and grab my head.

"Come on, Alexander. You know you want to."

"Shut up!" I bang my head on a cabinet. My vision swirling black. I only hear Beatriz shout for my name.

Beatriz

I scream Alex's name. He's laying on the floor. He's hands holding his head. I touch his shoulder. He looks up, and all I see are inky eyes and a malicious grin. I cover my mouth with my hand. With no alarm he grabs my throat. I attempt to scream, but it's just gurgling sounds. I can't breathe.

Alex

I'm back in the chair. In the black room. The one from eight years ago. In front of me is the demon. Black eyes and all.

"Hello, Alexander."

"Let me go."

"I cannot. "

"What did you do?"

"We escaped."

"Can you say anything beside two words?"

"When I want to."

"What happened, you monster!"

"See for yourself."

He moved out of the way. I saw the screen. Beatriz was on the ground. She was pale, her eyes bloodshot red. Dr. Sandy laid at the doorway as if trying to see what the commotion was. A shard of glass in his chest. Feathers lied on the ground; scattered everywhere. Some flew through the window.

"You should be thankful."

I shiver. The screen darkening; the room lighting up. I shut my eyes and listen to my heavy breath. I hear birds, water, cars. I open my eyes to a new world. One with no walls or white chairs.

"I gave us our freedom."

Freedom. I was free, but that comes with a cost. I didn't have the freedom I wanted. I wasn't free from the demon, and I never will be.

I walk aimlessly to the road. Walking over it without any care. I was free after eight years. A car immediately stopped in front of me. A man, around my age, hopped out.

"Dude, are you okay?" He asked.

"Yes, I think so."

"You need a lift or something?"

I nod, and the next thing I know I'm in the backseat of his car. I know the rule of stranger danger, but I trust my demon's judgement-- not entirely. The guy who was driving tried to make small talk asking things like where I came from or how I was. I didn't answer.

Turns out his name is Denis. I didn't care. I was more afraid of where I needed to go. I had nowhere to go. No records of my parents, no money, no life.

"You know you're a pretty bad at hitchhiking, right?" Denis smiled warily.

"Hitchhiking?" I repeat.

"You know, you stick out your thumb and someone takes you somewhere." He notices my confused expression, "Damn. I'm driving a hitchhiker who doesn't know what a hitchhiker is. Where do you need to go, dude?"

"I... I have nowhere." I sigh in defeat.

"Want me to hook you up with a hotel?"

"No money."

"My place?"

I'm surprised at his option. The only place I got is his. It's a good thing the demon likes this guy.