Ch. 117 and Ch. 118

Start from the beginning

Before they had even reached the north, the petty Manager Qin was already holding a grudge against Tang Yan and Mo Chenggui for this matter.

Their party had been on the road for a day. Seeing that the sky was turning dark and it would be dangerous to continue travelling since they were currently in a mountain forest, Mo Chenggui and Tang Yan decided to rest a night in the forest after some discussion.

The party stopped and Tang Yan ordered some men to start up a fire and cook the evening meal. Mo Chenggui started assigning guard duty for the night to the old soldiers and guards.

Chu Lian was helped off the carriage by Wenqing. The moment she stepped on the ground, she noticed that Manager Qin and the two Li siblings had already put up her tent for the night.

Li Xing and Li Yue seemed to have undergone some special training and were especially good at taking care of her needs while roughing it outside. Even Tang Yan and Mo Chenggui couldn't compare to them when it came to building a comfortable sleeping space in the woods.

Chu Lian was really starting to like this pair of siblings.

After Wenqing brought her to sit on a thick fur carpet outside the tent, Chu Lian started ordering her servants around.

Chu Lian wasn't someone who would let herself suffer. Although they were roughing it out in the wild, she was never going to make a shabby meal as long as it was within her limits to do better.

Hunger breeds discontent, after all. They would only have the strength to carry on if they ate well.

Wenlan stoked up the fire and took out a bronze stove to boil some water.

Meanwhile, Chu Lian instructed Wenqing to retrieve a specially made bronze pot from the carriage, which had a little opening in the center to allow room for smoke to rise up. Following that, she grabbed a few different types of dried vegetables from an indigo bag and tossed them into the hot water to soak.

Chu Lian personally seasoned the broth with the set of spice containers she had made sure to bring along. She also instructed Li Xing to bring some private soldiers with him to hunt in the nearby forest.

Once Chu Lian was finished with her side of the preparations, Li Xing had returned with three fat rabbits.

Li Yue took the live rabbits and went over to the nearby brook to take care of them.

In just an hour, Chu Lian's rabbit hotpot was completed.

Li Xing was skilled with his knife. He cut the lean rabbit meat into thin slices. When it was time to eat, they just had to swish the slices around for a few moments in the fragrant, boiling broth before it was cooked.

The broth was slightly spicy, so their bodies warmed up as they ate. Although the dried vegetables weren't as tasty as fresh ones, they were like a heavenly blessing in this cold winter season when it was usually impossible to get any vegetables at all.

Wenqing used the campfire to cook a small pot of rice to pair with the rabbit hotpot.

Their meal for tonight was snow white rice and green vegetables soaked in the spicy red rabbit hotpot broth; even those with smaller appetites could probably finish a huge bowl of it by themselves.