Chapter 1 - Searing Flame

Are they finally gone?

I quietly thought to myself, in the fear that the tenacious intruders would hear me.

I sat idle in the small hiding my father had built for me ages ago. He always told me what it was meant for and yet I never knew I'd use it so soon. The wooden walls seemed to be holding their worried breaths, as I slowly opened the hatch door that opened into the kitchen cupboard. I then made sure to quietly open the kitchen doors.

Once out of the kitchen, I made my way to the living room, walked through father's dojo, passed our Buddha statue and finally got into the living room. Empty, I then looked through the nearest window, two figures were headed away from our house, they walked through our gates and gradually out of view.

Good, they're gone. Now, where's mom and dad?

I rushed around the house looking for them, They're not anywhere inside.

I got out the front door and started looking outside.

I hope they're alright.

I got to the back garden. It was a serene evening, birds fluttered by and the sun shone bright painting the sky with a tangerine hue. I had always loved the garden, it had a plethora of common plants and vegetation, yet when they were observed together, their beauty would somehow sing in harmony. Natural life truly was beyond comprehension.

I continued the search for my parents, behind the large rocks by our pond, my eyes were met by a nightmarish scene. I stood transfixed, all rational thought and action eluded me as I watched the life seeping from their bodies. I felt my heart drop to my stomach, heat welled behind my eyes as my tears ran down my cheeks. Mother lay lifeless, close to the pond's edge, her sanguine blood stained her silk white kimono. Father lay near her, with one arm wrapped around his stomach. His navy blue robe was stained dark with his blood.

"Mom! Dad!" I cried, running to them, father was so startled that he swiftly picked up his katana and pointed it at me, its sharp edge bloodied with red.

"Stay back!" he shouted.

"Dad it's me" I responded my tears now a constant flow.

"Namakaze, I'm so...sorry" he mumbled placing his sword near the ground. His other arm then left his stomach, to pick mother up and to make her sit upright. Now that I was closer, I saw the full extent of father's injuries, multiple slashes on his back and front but the most grievous of all was the formidable gash in his stomach. I saw a hole that parted his flesh and led to gaping sinew. The hole kept spewing his blood but he was indifferent.

"Suei" he cried shaking my mother in the hopes that she would wake, there was no response. I fell to my knees, crying,

"Mother, please, wake up, please, we need you" I pleaded, my tears ran rampant, I could barely see.

Father roared a mighty shout, it echoed throughout our back garden and to the meadows behind. I knew what it meant. I didn't want to believe it.

I stood trying to pick mother up, "Let's get her to the village healer, come on father stand up."

"She's gone son," he said, his eyes red and brimmed with tears, "We cannot do a thing for her now"

"What do you mean? we can still help her."

I looked to him, his tears, his blood, his current state and in that moment a powerful emotion took a hold of me. It felt hot, What was this feeling?. Rage.

"Why father, why!" I screamed, "Why did you not protect her? why were you so weak!"

"Son..." he coughed blood from his mouth spraying into the air. "I'm sorry..."