08: Tomorrow Will Be Better

Start from the beginning

Am I... in pain?

~~

Iori grabbed his pillow and squeezed it tight. His mind was all over the place the morning after the show. He buried his face in the softness of the pillow. *That guy... he kissed me on the cheek! * Iori resisted the urge to grab his phone and text Kujou. He didn't know what to say anyway.

Goodbye, Iori.

That goodbye pierced through Iori's heart. He believed Riku would still contact him. He knew if any of the I6 members met him coincidentally somewhere, Riku would be nice to them. But of course, they were idols. They will meet at work eventually, and that would be when his 'Riku' is nowhere in sight.

"I'm sorry, Kujou-san."

Iori walked out of his room to find everyone in the dining area, waiting for his brother to serve breakfast.

"IORI is up late today, isn't that unusual?" Nagi spoke.

"What's the matter, Ichi?" Yamato couldn't help noticing that Iori looked a little down.

"It's nothing, Nikaido-san." Iori was a terrible liar. Not a single person believed that.

"It's clear as day that you have something on your mind." Mitsuki set the plates of omurice down and walked to his brother. "Tell us what's wrong."

"Is it about RIKU by any chance?" Nagi hit the jackpot. Iori's eyes widened.

"He didn't do anything to you, did he?" Sougo expressed his concern. Iori's mind jumped to that kiss on the cheek he got. He had to look away, not make any eye contact. He knew no one was going to let him get away, so he spoke

"The next time we meet Kujou-san won't be the same." Iori looked down. Sadness filled his heart. He was not sure he could bear it if I6 came to hate Kujou because of his fake cold personality.

"That, we know," Tamaki spoke. He wanted Ousama pudding before breakfast, but Sougo pulled him back and threatened him with a fork, so he listened quietly. "Rikkun doesn't seem like a bad person."

"Like I said yesterday, we understand he has his reasons. It seems like you know something we don't, and that's okay, but if you are in danger or anything like that, please do tell us, Iori-kun. " Sougo spoke, and the others nodded.

"Don't worry, Ichi." The seriousness disappeared when the instant Iori saw the leader smirked. "We won't think badly of your future boyfriend... or is he already yours?"

For the hundredth time in a month (or less), Iori's pale skin turned red. "N-Nikaido san! H-he's a friend!" okay fine, a CUTE friend. At least he felt relieved that his precious members would not judge Riku based on one terrible encounter. Iori wasn't sure if luck was on his side. Later that day, Tsumugi told them they were to perform at Sound Ship, where TRIGGER and Kujou would also be there.

~~

The day before Sound Ship, TRIGGER had a strategy meeting after practice, about trying to catch Kujou Riku.

"So, Tenn." Wiping his sweat with a towel, Gaku started. "How are we gonna catch your brother when he is alone?" They did some digging and found that Riku's manager would refuse without question if they went to ask to meet Riku directly.

"If I'm not wrong," Tenn went to sit beside Ryuu for a change. Gaku probably thought 'why' in his head for a second. "Riku will not leave immediately after the performance. People said he tends to leave after his manager, and that would be our chance." Tenn actually had an idea of why Riku would not leave right away. Tenn knew how serious Riku's breathing problem was, and how it would leave Riku knackered for a while.

"Right, our performance is just before his. Perfect." Ryuu said. "Will you speak to him privately, Tenn?"

"Oh, like hell I would let him go on his own!" Gaku slammed the table. Geez, he was not so different from Sousuke when it comes to anger control. "I will be there to make sure that guy doesn't hurt Tenn, and you will be there too." He looked at Ryuu. King's order from Gaku right there.

"What a hassle..." Tenn said when he was actually happy that Gaku got all worked up about protecting him.

"What was that, ungrateful brat?" Gaku yelled at Tenn. Ryuu sighed, knowing what was coming: an unending couple quarrel.

~~

Riku was coughing violently on his way home. Luckily or not, his manager was driving him back. His medications weren't helping him much. He wasn't feeling well in the morning. Working all day did not help with his condition either. One of his hands was on his chest, trying his best to calm his breathing when he was actually panicking. For the past few days, a rainstorm hit the city, which was one of the factors that could worsen Riku's condition.

"You'd better be ready tomorrow, Kujou." Riku's manager spoke as if Riku could control his physical illness the same way he suppresses his emotions. "Sound Ship is a huge event. Failure will not be tolerated. Now get off my car."

Riku struggled to unlock his door into his house. When he got in, he did everything he could to make himself feel better. He lay in bed, hoping on the off chance the pain would go away. At that moment, he heard his phone ring. Riku didn't bother to see the caller ID before picking up. His breath was still quite wheezy.

"Evening, Kujou-san."

Riku's eyes went wide upon hearing a familiar voice. The redhead quickly sat up. "I-Ior-*cough cough cough.*" He got a little too surprised.

"Are you alright!?!" Iori's face became serious. That doesn't sound good at all!

"Um, yeah. I'm quite... tired." Riku was used to saying 'I'm fine' to several people, but Iori was one of the people he wanted to be honest with.

"Will you even be able to stand on stage tomorrow?" Iori, of course, was talking about Sound Ship. In fact, he originally called Riku to talk about dinner plans after work. He had stopped himself from contacting Riku for long enough that he couldn't resist anymore. Looks like I'd better not ask him now.

"I have to. I want to!" Riku did not want to see the faces of disappointed fans. This was the time he needed to see those smiles the most.

"Are you crazy?" He is breathing really roughly. The dark-haired boy became more worried. Riku went quiet on him. How is he still thinking about standing on stage? Does he not care about himself at all? And why is-

"Iori, can't we just talk about something else?" Riku's voice went soft, interrupting Iori's train of thoughts. Weakness took over the redhead's mind. The glass shell of his dead emotions became fragile, soon falling apart, revealing soft feathers underneath. At that moment, Iori wished he could go see Kujou, to make sure the boy was alright. He also wanted to give the poor guy the love and support he was craving.

"I miss you. I miss Tenn-nii. " His illness was making his strong feelings run wild. He was just like a little kid then, like 'Nanase Riku'. "I feel so lonely, Iori."

That night, Iori sang him a few songs as Riku's lullaby. "Everything will be alright, Kujou-san." He told Riku that he was right by his side even though he wasn't there physically.

"Tomorrow will be better, surely."

-----------------------------------------------------

Why do I feel sorry for Iori more than Riku? ;-; nyan~ Right, hopefully Tenn will get to talk to Riku in the next chapter *wink*