02: Kujou Riku

"*cough cough* Huff... huff..."

Riku's manager rushed in with canned oxygen and an inhaler. The boy might have delivered a powerful performance. The fact remained that he had a problem with his breathing, but it was manageable if he was careful. Plus, his manager was instructed by Kujou Takamasa himself on how to deal with Riku's illness. And more importantly, how to control Riku's actions.

Riku quickly recovered after using the inhaler. "Manager-san, am I done for the day?" Riku asked the manager. It had been so long since he last came to Japan. He wanted to take a walk. The manager nodded and said Riku was free to go anywhere as long as he tried not to stand out too much.

Even with his manager, Riku could not smile. "Remember, Riku. Crush anyone who gets in your way. Show them you are powerful. That you are the only person worthy of the crown, standing on top." Takamasa had said those words probably a million times as Riku grew up.

I wonder if I still remember how to smile.

Riku sighed as he walked around the city, looking at shops with cute things. Of course, he had to cover his face and wear sunglasses. Although he had only been in the industry for a few weeks, his popularity was through the roof.

Riku wasn't very good at showing his true emotions since he wasn't allowed to "feel too much" growing up. Again, Kujou wanted him to maintain a powerful image. People were usually too scared to even approach Riku as he seemed to be unreachable. Kujou didn't care how Riku acted when he was on his own.

But he was now an idol. Almost everywhere he went, he had to be in his "unreachable mode".

As soon as Riku got home that night, his manager called him. He was invited to perform at Music Festa, a huge live broadcast that any indie artist would die to be there. Riku wasn't sure how he felt. He was glad he could bring smiles and excitement to people's faces when he sang, even under Kujou's control. Then again, he would rather show his true self and sing with his true feelings.

My true feelings, huh? I wonder what they are.

"You will be meeting a few other idols at Music Festa. Keep your interactions to a minimum. Kujou, understood?" Riku's manager's words stabbed him in the chest.

So I can't even be friends with people in the same industry?

Actually, Takamasa pressured Nanase's entertainment business into bankruptcy because he wanted Tenn, but Riku overheard the adult's conversation. He was too young to grasp what was going on at the time, but as a kid, he knew Tenn was in trouble. So instead, Riku presented himself to Kujou in order to protect Tenn.

"Tenn-nii..." Riku sat on his bed and hugged his knees. He felt like crying. He wasn't sure how to. He couldn't cry. The only thing he knew was that he wanted to be in his brother's arms, especially when he felt so much pain like this.

Riku took his usual medications and lay in bed until he could fall asleep.

~~

-Music Festa-

"Welcome back to the biggest live music broadcast, Music Festa! We've been running for 4 hours straight now!" Mr Shimooka worked hard as an MC for this event. People throughout Japan were glued to their TVs, waiting for their favourite idols to turn up.

"Now the next three are the hot bunch! I'm sure you have been waiting for them to make an appearance!"

The audience screamed in excitement. "One of them must be TRIGGER!" The whole room was filled with chatter. "Or maybe that boy, Kujou Riku! I REALLY want to see him up close!"