Carmen: 21.

Carman could be very persistent when she wanted to be, and she wanted to see what Ezra did with his life. After all, her own was spent playing other people, so finding out how different people lived interested her.

Before Ezra had even woken up, which, Carmen had learned would be five, Carmen was already out the door.

Peter also couldn't sleep and he was in the kitchen tending to his homemade cider when Carmen tiptoed into the kitchen.

Peter happily told her where to find the trawler that Ezra worked on, and after thanking him, she'd slipped through the front door.

It took minutes to rush down the hill and Carmen reached the boat before Ezra had even gotten up. She was very early.

Still, three men were already on the boat.

"Hi," Carmen had said brightly.

A short fellow with yellow waterproofs on and a wiry, White beard looked up. He had squinted, before his eyebrows rose. "Oh."

"Can I get onboard?"

"Your...?"

"Earlier than Ezra?" Carmen had offered. "Yeah, I know."

"No, you're Carmen Bailey! My wife is a big fan."

Although she'd been flattered, Carmen was beginning to believe that her audience was only women. Maybe some young guys found her hot, but middle aged men and older weren't really fans. Well, except Don and Kevin.

"Yes," she had said politely, with a tight smile. "I am."

"Why, my handsome, what're you doing down here?"

"You mean up?"

The man had shook his head. "'Ere we call it down country. We do many things differently."

Carmen remembered nodded seriously. "Right."

"So, what're you here for?"

"I want to get on your boat." Carmen had licked her lips. She was glad she had worn a coat, as if was cold. "Please."

"Why, we're going out to sea."

"So am I, if you let me."

"Women don't go out to sea. Fishermen are men."

"I don't want to fish," Carmen had said, slightly irritated. She remembered thinking, 'if I weren't famous, would he have instantly let me on the boat?' "I just want to be here while someone else fishes."

"Who?"

"Ezra Sparks. He's..." Carmen had struggled to find the right words. "He's a friend of mine. I just want to surprise him, but I don't want to be seen by him and I know he'll be on his way down now 'cause you're about to go out. Can you just let me on.

The man had been reluctant.

"Please?"

"Fine," he'd finally caved. "You can go in the cabin. I'll be in there driving. The boy doesn't come in there. He'll be at the back of the boat."

"Thank you."

Now they were half way out in the middle of nowhere and Carmen was in the cabin with the guy with the White beard. She'd learned that his name was John. A very common fisherman's name.