Mas Adelante - Chapter Twenty Four

"Oscar." Lola smiled, her eyes filling with tears already. "Will you dance with me?"

Oscar nodded, taking her small hand and standing up. Everybody cheered, yelling and clapping as they made their way to the middle of the dance floor. Her first move was to completely wrap her arms around him, placing her head on his heartbeat. That touched his heart, his eyes also prickling with tears. He kissed her head, squeezing her tightly.

"You're my best friend Oscar." She clutched his shirt, "I love you so much."

He kissed his teeth, "stop, you're gonna make me cry, man." He sniffed, looking up and blinking away the tears.

"Thank you for going back for me." She lifted her head, her tear stained face caused him to groan, his eyes filling with tears. "I love you." She held him tighter.

He lifted her face from his chest, looking down at her. "I love you too mama, you know that." He kissed her forehead, "you'll always come first for me."

She began to sob completely, "thank you for being my dad."

That got him, he rested his jaw on her head, swallowing as a few loose tears ran down his face. "I would do it a million times over." He wiped her tears and she gulped.

"And my mom."

"Come here." They stopped dancing, now he was just holding her tightly.

"I don't want you to hate me." She mumbled out, "please don't hate me, Hermano. I need you."

"What are you talking about?" He removed her hands from her face, "Lola?"

Ruby shook his head, she was going to tell him. He was going to die, this was it.

Sad Eyes noticed as well, his mouth slight agape as he watched.

"I can't do this without you." She clutched his shirt, "you raised me, I didn't have a mom. I don't know how to raised a child."

Oscar's mouth fell open slightly, "Lola, look at me." He lifted her face, "what are you saying?" She sobbed softly for a few more seconds before he pressed again. "Estephania you better answer me."

She sniffed, "I'm pregnant Oscar."

Oscar's eyebrows pulled together, everybody going quiet as he shook his head softly. "No you're not." He chuckled, "don't play with shit like that, Lola."

She looked down at the ground, exhaling softly. "I'm sorry."

"You're sorry?" He chuckled angrily, then he had a thought, his thought was sitting in a metal chair on the side of the dance floor. Ruby.

"You told me to my face you were fucking my sister, me viste la cara de pendejo."

Tati jumped up quickly, running in front of him as he began to walk quickly toward him. "Baby you don't want to do this, hear her out."

Sad Eyes watched, if he didn't have to take the heat, he was cool with it.

Oscar set his hands on top of his head, taking in a sharp breath. As he exhaled it, he let his fist fly to the nearest tree, hitting it twice.

Cesar stood, despite being stunned himself he wouldn't want anybody to see his brother like that. "Okay guys!" He cleared his throat, "parties over–"

A gun shot caused everybody to duck, everybody but Oscar and Lola. Lola stood still for a few seconds, before dropping to the floor, gasping for air.

"Prophet$!" A large group of men in green sweatshirts walked into the yard. Only one of them had their guns out, Latrelle. "Prophet$ all day!" He yelled, opening fire again.

The Santos shot back, ducked behind chairs, tables and trees.

Cesar glanced at Oscar to make sure he was okay, he was firing from behind the tree, Tati secured behind him. Then his little sister, he couldn't find her until he saw her body being dragged away by Ruby.

"No, no, no." Cesar shook his head, ducking as he ran across to Ruby. "No, please God no." He cried, holding Lola in his arms. "Not my baby sister, no, no, no."

Police sirens progressively got closer every second, the Santos ran, leaving the Prophet$ dead bodies scattered around.

Cesar clutched her body, lifting her lips to his ear. "She's breathing." He said, looking up at Ruby. He felt her wrist, "she has a pulse." Ruby dialed nine-one-one, because they were sure it was only the officers that patrol that block showing up.

Oscar stood from behind the tree slowly, watching Tati run to Cesar and Ruby, looking down at Lola's body. He began to walk over slowly, freezing when he heard a gun cock. "Drop you weapon!"

He cussed, "fuck." He slowly dropped the weapon.

"On your knees!"

He shut his eyes tightly, cussing again. "Fuck."

"On your knees or we open fire!"

Tati watched him open his eyes and look at his baby sister, contemplating whether to get on his knees or not. "Oscar, please listen to them. She's still alive."

He dropped to his knees, but not because they told him to. Because he was watching the life leave his sisters body and his legs had become weak.

"Hands behind your head!"

Another pair of sirens sounded, indicating an ambulance was on the way and very close by.

Oscar lifted his hands, putting them behind his head. There was a mumbled, "go get him" then he was handcuffed and pulled up to his feet forcefully by two cops. His eyes stayed on Lola as he was pulled away, only leaving when he was shoved into the back of the cop car.

Soon after, the paramedics arrived.