Mas Adelante - Chapter Six

"Hey." Angelo said, pulling up his zipper and buttoning his jeans.

Lola looked up, "what's up?"

"You wanna go to prom with me?" He fixed his collar in his mirror, then ran a hand through his hair.

Lola stood off of her knees, wiping her mouth. "Prom?"

He nodded, "my senior prom is in two weeks."

She gasped, sarcastically. "Me? A freshman? At the senior prom?"

"Come on now." Angelo sighed, setting his hands on either side of her neck. "You're my girl and I want you there with me."

He leaned down to kiss her but she dodged him, "you're gonna kiss me after I just–"

He pulled her toward him, filling her mouth with his tongue.

She laughed, licking her lips. "Oh you're nasty."

Angelo smirked, winking at her, then he walked around her, "you should go, your brothers gonna start asking where you are."

"So you're just gonna kiss me like that and make me go home?" She grabbed her backpack. "I'll remember that when you text me at three in the morning, begging me to come over."

He blew her a kiss when she walked out of his room, then she continued out of his house and down the road.

"Lola!" Jamal jogged up behind her, "hey I was just thinking about you. How'd your talk with Oscar go?"

"Oh you know." She shrugged, "the usual, continuous apologizing, cringey begging, crocodile tears and forced bro-hugs."

Jamal shook his head, "only you Lola."

"Well at least he let me come home." She chuckled, "and then he promised me a quince which will probably never happen, but I'm not too worried about it."

"You shouldn't be so mean to him, Lola, he's trying."

Lola rolled her eyes, "so you ran over here to give me a life lesson?"

Jamal put his index finger up, "I didn't run, I jogged. I don't like to perspire."

"Right." She chuckled, shaking her head at him.

"And I came because I saw Officer Hammel patrolling down the street wouldn't want you to get arrested."

She sucked her teeth, "I'm not worried about Hammel, I have him wrapped around my finger."

"You say that like..." his eyes went wide, "Lola you didn't!"

She nodded, puckering her lips, "but I did."

Jamal clutched his chest, gasping. "I feel so dirty with that information."

"Hey well it got me out of being arrested so." She shrugged, nodding to her house. "This is me, see you around?"

"You bet." He put his fist up, she hit it with hers and he jogged away.

She walked into her house, setting her backpack down. "Oscar I'm home!"

"Good," he walked out of his room, "I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Hit me." She nodded, "I hope it's about my door being put back in it's place 'cause the kitchen is scary to look at at night."