Mas Adelante - Chapter Twenty Five

Cesar sat in the waiting chair, silently crying as he stared at nothing. Ruby was next to him, leaning his head onto his shoulder as he did the same, silent tears running down their faces at the thought of losing someone so important to them.

Jamal sat on the floor, banging his head against the wall. He didn't want to lose his best friend. Not like this.

Sad Eyes was leaning against the wall, chewing on his thumb nail nervously. He had told the group that he was sent to be Cesar and Tati's protection. But who was he going to Protect? He couldn't even protect his baby momma.

"Family of Lola Diaz?"

Cesar stood, followed by everybody else. "How's my sister?"

"How's the baby?" Ruby asked, swallowing when Cesar looked at him.

"Your si–"

"You knew?" The doctors mouth snapped shut, looking up at Cesar and Ruby.

Jamal stood between them, "C, I think you should let him explain."

"You too?" He shoved Jamal back, livid with tears in his eyes. "So which one of you is the father then? Huh?" He looked down at ruby, "so what my brother was saying true? You had sex with my baby sister behind our back?"

Sad Eyes seethed, shaking his head. "Damn. That's tough."

Cesar glanced at him, swallowing angrily as he waited for one of his friends to answer.

"Cesar." Ruby said, "compa, I never meant to hurt you."

A wash of anger filled Cesar's eyes as he grabbed him by his collar, shoving him into the wall.

"Okay, that's enough." Sad Eyes pulled Cesar away, "this ain't the place homie." Cesar shoved Sad Eyes off of him, walking away as he wiped his face.

Ruby inhaled a shaky breath, turning back to the confused doctor. "Can you tell us how she is?"

"I need permission to give her blood. Are her parents present?"

Sad Eyes shook his head, "her parents ain't alive no more. But I'm here." He didn't think twice about opening his clip board and having him sign. "Is she gonna be okay?"

"She's stable, the bullet went through her without hitting any vital organs." He smiled at the group. "Hold tight, I'll let you know if anything happens." Ruby huffed, sitting into the uncomfortable chair. Sad eyes sat next to him, leaning his elbow onto the arm rest.

"So this was all you huh?"

Ruby looked up slowly, exhaling through his nose. "It was an accident."

"I can agree with you on that." He chuckled, nudging him. "Spooky's gon' kill your ass." Ruby pulled his eyebrows together, but didn't say anything.

Meanwhile, Cesar slid down the wall of the bathroom, holding his phone to his ear.

"I'm not getting out of here anytime soon. How's your sister?"

Cesar sighed, "I don't know, the doctor came and Ruby asked about the baby I—I lost control. I'm in the bathroom now."

"That little puto will get what's coming to him, I promise. As far as your sister, you make the decisions. If it comes down to saving her or the baby; save her. She's not keeping it."

"Is it fair for us to make that decision for her?"

"Does it matter?"

Cesar looked down at the tiled floor, "would she want that?"

He heard a door open from Oscar's side of the line, then his brother cleared his throat. "I gotta go, estos putos are removing me from the holding cell. Cuidate hermanito. I'll call you when I get a court date."

Cesar dropped his phone to the floor when the call ended, looking up slowly when the heavy metal door opened. "Yo, she's awake." His eyebrows furrowed and Sad Eyes scoffed, "you just goin' sit there and look at me stupid?"

"What did you just say?"

Sad Eyes smiled, holding his hand out to help him up. "She's awake."