Chapter 5

At four minutes before eight, Sadie hustled into the spacious lobby, her heels clicking on the hardwood floors. She paused by the red sofas at the entrance of the lobby and attempted an air of casualness which was difficult with the growing carbonated fizz in her stomach.

She looked around the room for Derry and her ear picked up a low whistle. She thanked Kayla once again and turned in the direction of her dinner companion.

"Wow, you look great," the man-to-be-called Derry stated.

"Thanks." His compliment enhanced her effervescence. Fine. She'd admit it. She was excited about the evening, but the joy was due to having a night out, not due to having him. "You look nice yourself."

He smoothed out his oxford shirt and smiled. "Why thank you. I admit I hadn't packed much for the weekend so I hope you can't see the tiny stain of blood from the painful incision in my finger."

She squinted but did not step closer. Best to maintain appropriate distance to uphold the non-date atmosphere. "You can't. It's a good thing you're not a hemophiliac. You would've ruined the shirt."

He offered his arm. "Now, that was funny. Keep that up and you might enjoy this evening after all."

She feared exactly that. She bit her lip and wrapped her hand around his bicep. Defined and strong. A man who took care of himself. She flexed her wrist so her fingers did not caress his muscle.

In front of the hotel, they climbed into the first taxi. It didn't smell like the cabs back home, but the accent of the driver remained consistent. "Where can I take ya lovely people?"

Derry gave an address to the driver and settled back in the seat. "I had a rough time figuring out the best place for dinner since there are so many places and you haven't experienced St. John's nightlife. I thought I'd show you something you'd never find landlocked at home. Is that okay?"

Okay? Okay was room service and another night alone. Less than okay was being home. Experiencing something she'd never find there was, was...she closed her eyes. "Sounds perfect."

When their taxi stopped moving, Sadie looked out the window and laughed at the neon fins and sign attached to the building. "Jimmy's Joint. As in Jimmy Buffett?"

"Not owned, but in honor of him. Hope you're a fan."

"Devout. Attended his concert five years in a row. Almost got a parrot tattoo on a dare one year." She held up her forefinger and thumb in a small measurement gesture, "But was this much sober to be able to talk myself out of it."

Derry held the door open for her. "That much sober can save you from a lot of things."

"Or get you in a lot of trouble," she said over her shoulder as she entered the restaurant and got whiplash from the time warp.

Pink parrots, grass skirts, Hawaiian shirts and the smell of rum surrounded her. Music floated over the murmuring voices of the patrons and hustle of the wait staff. The chorus opened a vault in her memory and off-key lyrics flowed through her lips. All she needed was a cold adult beverage in her hand and she'd shed close to ten years off her life, back to a time when life was all about finding and celebrating the joy in everything.

Derry motioned over his shoulder. "Do you want to wait at the bar? Our table will be ready in a few minutes."

"Sure." Through the silk fabric of the dress, her lower back warmed from his hand as he guided her to the middle of the restaurant.

"Sam Adams, please."

The bartender placed two wooden coasters complete with a flamingo motif in front of them. "Sure, Mr. D. And for the lady?"