Chapter 22

In Emi's dream, there was a blurred vision of a girl

In Emi's dream, there was a blurred vision of a girl. But she knew very well who it was. "Sis!" No matter how many times she shouted, no matter how loud, Tohru wouldn't respond. Emi saw her own sister get hurt to protect her, falling to the ground before her eyes.

"Emi!" Opening her eyes, Emi was blinded by the sunlight that lighted up the room. She looked around and saw Tohru there. "What's the matter? You started crying in your sleep."

"I did..?" Feeling her face, Emi felt her own tears on her fingers. Her heart had lingering pain from that dream. But it was only just a dream, she had to remind herself over and over. "I'm fine now. But thanks for worrying about me."

Tohru sweetly smiled. "It's what sisters do. They're there for each other."

Emi felt like her heart has been set free, smiling back at her sister. She then noticed something else. "Where is everyone?"

"They all went to meet with Akito. Well... Except Kyo. He went outside somewhere, but he'll be back." Since the cat has always been left out of the zodiac, Kyo was often excluded by the rest of the zodiac when it came to gatherings.

"Akito..? The Sohma family head?"

"Right. You never met him yet?"

"No, I only heard about him twice- well, three times now. I know you met him on the first day of school. Was he... Scary?"

"A little... But he didn't do anything wrong."

"That better be the case. If he did lay a hand on you that day, I would've kicked his ass."

"You don't need to go that far! Akito is the god of the zodiac, and I'm pretty sure injuring him would cause a stir-up! So... Please don't do such a thing. Ok Emi?"

Emi let out a sigh. "Fine... I won't cause a stir-up."

Tohru grabbed a hold of Emi's hand. "Come on! Let's build sandcastles outside! If we can find Kyo, then he can join us too!"

Emi smiled, letting her sister lead her wherever she went. Just like she always has figuratively and literally. "That sounds like fun!"

~•~

Outside on the beach shore, both Tohru and Emi were building a sandcastle together while Kyo watched. He was sitting with his legs crossed, resting his elbow on his leg, his palm underneath his chin.

Tohru smoothed our the edges of the castle with a plastic shovel. Emi saw a tiny hermit crab crawling nearby, carefully picking it up. "Hey little guy. Tell us what you think about our castle." She carefully placed the hermit crab on top of the sandcastle.

Kyo looked unamused. "Why are you talking to a crab?"

"There's nothing wrong with that."

"Oh look!" Tohru exclaimed. "The crab likes our castle!"