I

TAINTED

Jordan took a seat in front of his brother

Jordan took a seat in front of his brother. A shiver ran up and down his spine, everything was so cold in here – the air, the chair, the walls, the atmosphere, his brother's blue eyes. It made his skin crawl.

Ashton was covered in bruises and cuts, fresh and old ones. Jordan's heart constricted as he failed to remember the last time he saw his brother's face without any marks. He leaned over to gently touch Ashton's face but the sixteen year old pulled away with a harsh jerk.

Jordan's hand hovered mid-air for a few seconds before he slowly dropped it. His forearms rested on top of the table, fingers curled into loose fists. He wished his brother could see that he'd never raise a hand to hurt him, only to help. And even though it was an instinctive reaction from the younger boy's part, Jordan had a hard time pushing aside the concealed rejection that had come with it.

"I heard you got into a fight again."

Ashton's jaw clenched.

Jordan briefly pinched the bridge of his nose. "You really need to stop doing this to yourself, Ash."

Ashton's split lips remained sealed.

"I'm serious," Jordan's eyes hardened.

"You think I want this?" He leaned forward, blue eyes cold as steel. "You think I chose this?"

"Listen, I just need you to stay low for a few more weeks – "

"Stay low?" Ashton chuckled bitterly. "If only it were that simple. Last night my roommate jumped me just because I didn't have any cigs left. He threatened me with a knife, what the fuck was I supposed to do? Just stand there and let him fucking stab me?"

"Are you sure it wasn't the other way around?"

Ashton shot his brother a look.

"Listen," Jordan sighed. "Just stay away from those boys and stay out of fights. Stop talking back to your superiors, obey the rules, and maybe they'll release you on good behavior."

"That's what they always say but somehow I still keep coming back to this fucking shithole," he spat.

"You're gonna have to try harder, kid," Jordan reasoned. "You were supposed to be out of juvie two weeks ago. Do you even wanna go home?"

"You're right. Maybe I want to stay. Anything's better than going back to that fucking bastard," he muttered darkly.

Ashton's entire body turned rigid at the thought of his father. That son of a bitch was the reason he was locked up in the first place. Little did the man know he was doing him a favor, Ashton enjoyed the break from his father. Jordan's question echoed in his head – do you even wanna go home?

No.

Ashton didn't want to go home. He would do anything to stay away from that place. Even if it meant he had to resort to questionable measures, like threatening his roommate with a knife for not wanting to share his cigarettes.