Chapter 3 // Concerned

Lena grabbed her phone and opened the conversation with Kara. She chuckled when she saw the 'See you tomorrow, boss' from yesterday, and Lena's reply with a heart. She quickly texted 'Thank you for the planner again. It made my day.'

Minutes later when Lena entered her car downstairs, she got an exuberant response 'Absolutely no problem. Again thanks for today. Rn I'm watching Wizard of Oz w Alex to blow off some steam.'

Lena smiled at her phone and quickly replied with, 'Kara, I'm just looking out for you. Is the movie good? I've never seen it before.'

This time it just took mere seconds for Kara to reply 'Wow, Lena... That's a new low. How've you never seen Wizard of Oz?'

Lena grinned at the message and quickly shot back, 'Kara, I grew up with the Luthors. Of course, I've never seen it.'

Again Kara was quick with her reply 'It's settled we're watching the Wizard of Oz soon. I would say today but tonight its sister night and I haven't seen Alex in quite some time. But you're going to love it.'

Lena replied with a thumbs up and with that, she put her phone in her bag. That evening she enjoyed herself with a glass of whiskey, thinking about what to do. And she came up with a plan. A five-part plan. 'Step 1: Give Kara everything, start with roses and little gifts. Step 2: Make sure Kara relies on you and starts to do it more and more. Become her safe space. Step 3: Become the most important person in Kara's life, even more than Alex. Step 4: Start making bolder moves. Step 5: Get the girl.'

She might have been a little tipsy when she made the list, but when she read it in the morning she thought it was a pretty damn decent plan. That morning she texted Eve to buy red carnations and drop them off at Kara's desk with a note 'I am proud of you to -L'

She also decided that she was going invite Kara over for a movie night, but when she went to Kara's office she was met with an empty room. She quickly went to James, who just gave her an irritated weak excuse, which meant that she had Supergirl business. The rest of the day had Lena waiting for Kara to return but to avail. That night she laid awake in bed, knowing that Kara would be okay soon and she would have her chance.

~~~~~~~~

The next day when she arrived at work Kara wasn't there yet. Lena, ready to mope around, was surprised when only twenty minutes later, a knock on her door broke her focus. She looked up to see Kara standing there.

She smiled brightly and exclaimed "Kara! It's good to see you." She quickly walked to her friend and hugged her tight.

Kara was a bit taken back but didn't react to Lena- who quickly let go with a quick step backward, "I- I shouldn't have done that. I'm-"

Kara cut her off by saying "No- No, Lena it's okay. I just- I didn't expect this reaction. I'm just here to thank you for the flowers, they're beautiful." Lena nodded. Kara held her arms open, waiting for Lena to react and hug her back. She pulled her in close, embracing her tightly.

When they part Lena asked, "Want to talk for a bit?" Kara nodded. Lena walked back to her chair and Kara sat in one of the chairs in front of Lena's desk.

Kara put her hands on her knees and asked: "What do you want to talk about?"

Lena sighed and asked "Where were you yesterday? Those flowers have been there since then. I was worried about you, and James didn't really have a reason why you were gone."

Kara looked flabbergasted, mouth slightly agape and eyes wide. She tried to talk but nothing came out, apart from some weird stuttered words. Kara shook her head and composed herself a bit "I was helping a family friend. He was having some problems and I couldn't say no. So I was with him yesterday, I'm sorry I made you worry, next time I'll text you," Kara sighed and continued "Look, Lena. I thank you really, but you don't need to worry. I might do the dangerous stories but- I won't get hurt, alright? I promise."