Digging through the dustiest part of my closet, I pulled out a bunch of old dresses my sister and I had preserved for emergencies. A pop of red stood out from the dull pinks and whites of the other dresses. It wasn't perfect but I wasn't looking to be rated best dressed.

I just hoped I could make it out alive.

.•*•.

Gigantic columns supported the gilded balcony of Gaia's mansion while the lawn was adorned with beautiful marble statues and fountains. I mean, I knew they were rich, but I didn't think they were this rich. Their mansion had to be five times the size of my house; which made me feel even poorer than usual.

My mind became blank as Jenny, Dexter, Tate, and I entered enemy territory. The inside of their lair was even more impressive than the outside.

The mansion was magnificently adorned with dainty mirrors and long pools of tranquil water. The old vampires had borrowed elements from the Greeks to produce a modern twist of the classic architecture. The walls and tiles were drenched in white paint and a translucent dome loomed over our heads to reveal the stars scattered across the night sky.

Dressed in a luxurious violet gown, Gaia was the first to greet us. "Good evening,"

"Good evening," Jenny and Dexter replied respectfully before walking passed her arm-in-arm.

I lingered behind Tate, who had come to a standstill. It was so glaringly obvious that he was admiring her appearance that I thought he was going to say something. But instead, he turned his head and completely ignored her.

He walked over to the bar but if Gaia was wounded, she didn't show it. She met my eyes and smiled warmly, something I hadn't expected from the evil vampire mother.

"I'm pleased you could join us, Brielle."

"Thank you for inviting me."

"Oh, I wasn't the one who invited you, my dear," she said in a not unkind tone and I frowned. My curiosity was piqued.

"Then who did?"

Hollis put a hand on Gaia's shoulder, interrupting our conversation, "Mother, all of the guests have arrived."

"Please excuse us," Gaia and Hollis weaved through the crowd to join the rest of their family. Each sibling had their own step and together they looked classically timeless. On the top of the staircase, Gaia tapped her wine glass with her ring in an effort to silence the hall.

As the vampires quieted down, waiters ambled through the mansion offering red wine. They handed me a glass and I hoped it wasn't actually blood.

"Welcome, we are all so glad that you could join us tonight. Before we move to the ballroom and begin tonight's festivities, I would like to raise a glass to celebrate the reunion of family and friends. Gratitude!" Gaia announced and everyone clapped. "Now, let the night commence!"

Everyone headed to the grand ballroom as Gaia led her family of five down the winding staircase.

Since I didn't have a dance partner, I stood on the side to watch everyone pair up. My jaw almost dropped when I saw Kevin and Cecelia dancing together. I'd literally never seen them together—when did they get so close?

My eyes landed on Jenny and Dexter next, who were dancing as friends, of course. Jenny looked like Cinderella with her curly blond hair and baby blue dress.

I soon became very aware that I was being watched by the other vampires, as Jenny, Kevin and I were the only humans here.

"They're not thirsty, they knew to eat beforehand." Someone commented beside me and I did a double-take.