Chapter 22 | Crossroads

Start from the beginning

I smile at how adorable the twins are as Faiza tells Farhan to be quiet. A pain in my chest spreads throughout my body as I ponder over the fact that I may or may not bond like this with my siblings ever again. I know for a fact that once I get back home, things will be awkward and they'll take time to overcome. I look back down at the chain of the locket before grabbing the house phone.

I dial the numbers slowly, reading them on the screen of the phone before pressing it against my ear. It rings four times before I hear the voice that I haven't heard in a very long time. The pain gets too excruciating as I decide to step outside of the house. Tears well up in my eyes as my voice wavers. "M-mom?"

There's a pause at the other line. Crap. I knew it. I knew she'd either be skeptical or straight up not wanting to talk to me. I hold in a sharp breath as my mother sighs in what seems like relief. "Kayla, honey, I'm so... I'm so sorry. I didn't know what I was thinking..." She pauses again before taking a deep breath. "I'm such a terrible mother."

"Mom, you're not," I scold her. No one deserves to say that about themselves; especially when it's my mother. "You just weren't ready, and I understand." I sniff as the wind whips at my face sharply. "Can... can I come home?"

The next few minutes or so becomes a series of sobs, reminiscences, and joy. Once I press the end button, my hijab is messed up, my face is red and tear-streaked, and I pretty much feel that all the energy I had is drained out with a heavy feeling of emptiness.

I go back inside and close the door. I then decide to call Harun, but coincidentally, I see his number on the screen, and I answer it. "Hello?"

"Hey Kayla. I just heard the news. Zahra is coming back in a few weeks. I'll also stop by and visit you guys."

A rush of unexplained feelings pump in my veins. I'm relieved to see Harun, even for a second. But I don't know what I feel about Zahra.

***

The next week drags on by slowly, as if the world sense's my elation to see Harun and opposes it. I'll finally know who he wrote about in that letter - it could be me or Nadia. Who else? Besides, I don't think he's interested in her. He was just a friend towards her, that's all.

Ruwayda told me that Zahra's dad's success of the rapid growth of the antidote allows her family to come back. I'd get to see all her brothers. I'm especially anxious about Zayd; Zahra told me bitterly on the phone that he's paralyzed. I don't know if it's temporary or permanent. I guess I'd have to find out once they arrive back here in Minnesota

As my chemistry teacher walks around handing back everyone their graded mid-terms, the last person I want to see right now walks in. After what happened the other day, with the whole Stephanie incident, he still hasn't talked to me. I guess he's adamant on thinking that I actually punched her. It doesn't make sense - I can't even stand the sight of blood, let alone make someone shed it. Nick exchanges a few words with the teacher, explaining why he's late, and takes the only empty seat - which is behind me.

I stiffen my back as I silently plead that I leave this classroom in one piece. The period goes by slowly; we're supposed to do a lab and we have to pair up with someone for this one. My eyes sweep around the room. I turn around to ask the girl who was sitting next to me if we could be partners, but I stop myself as I notice the scars across her cheeks. The last time I saw her, she was wearing a pair of shades to hide her black, swollen eyes. They now look normal, but she has a blank expression on her face.

"Long time no see, eh?" Her lips curl into a half-smile as she fixes me with a scrutinizing look.

"Isabela," I whisper in a small voice. "I haven't seen you for a long time. And, where's Bianca?" I remember the day when the two girls viciously fought each other. I was petrified to the point I passed out at the sight of Bianca's blood.