Chapter 9 - Divine Intervention

"I won't drink it!" Stefan growled through gritted teeth, you could see refusing the blood that Klaus was trying to force down his throat was physically hurting him.

"Stop it Klaus! I am the cure just kill me already!" You shouted, Klaus smirked as he ignored you.

"I'm having too much fun here." Klaus poured at you before turning back to Stefan. "This is your last chance to drink, or I'll slit her throat and make you bathe in her blood." Klaus grabbed Stefan by the throat. "Now drink..."

"What do we have here? A party without me? I'm insulted." You heard an arrogant voice... you never thought you'd be happy to see Damon stood at the doorway, a few people stood proudly beside him. One man stepped forward, he was impeccably dressed, his suit was pristine.

"Klaus." The man spoke softly, his voice sounded soothing and calm.

"Elijah, what are you doing here? It's not time for a family reunion." Klaus released his grip on Stefans throat, Stefan slumped into a heap on the floor coughing loudly. Damon inched forward but Elijah raised his arm to stop him.

"Klaus, this woman, this human, does not wish to destroy your hybrids, she is innocent." Elijah stepped forward, Klaus recoiled backwards.

"She's from a family of vampire hunters, she isn't innocent. I have to protect my hybrids. Do you not understand that?" Klaus was angry, he grabbed you by the face, looking directly into your eyes. "You have to die, for your crimes against my kin." He gritted his teeth, you watched his fangs begin to protrude from his mouth, the veins on his face enlarging by the second.

"If you bite me, you'll be cured. You won't be a vampire anymore, just a werewolf." You looked at him with a pleading look. "Kill me if you must." You stared directly into Klaus' eyes, there was not a shred of compassion within his cold eyes.

"Klaus. Stop this." Elijah placed his hand on Klaus's shoulder, klaus shoved him off and turned to face him.

"No! Do you not understand? All these years, you've had people like you, people who understand you! I've been alone in all of this, throughout centuries, I have been alone!" You could hear the frustration in Klaus' voice, a part of you felt a little bit sorry for him...
"But now, I have my hybrids, my people..." a manic smile appeared upon his face. "And nobody can take them from me!"
Klaus turned to face you, his eyes wide, he grabbed your face with his hand. "You threaten the very existence of my hybrids, that is why you have to die."

"I don't want to touch your hybrids, I don't want anything to do with vampires at all!" You snapped. "I have seen so many people suffer and die at the hands of people like you, like all of you, do you think I want to get involved with that? Do you think I want to die for some vampires to continue living?" You saw the realisation hit Klaus. "I don't want any part of this, let me go and I swear to you I'll disappear from this place, you won't ever find me. I swear it." You realised you were now, pleading for you life. You could see the sadness on Stefans face, as he listened to the words you had said. How you hated vampires, how you did not want anything to do with them. Stefan could not even look you in the eye.

"You say that..." klaus looked deep in thought for a moment. "But the way Stefan fought me outside this... shed." Klaus shuddered. "It didn't seem like he hated you, it seemed like he was willing to die to protect you." Klaus leaned in close, so close you could see each and every pore on his face, his lips grazed your ear as he said "I think he has... feelings for you." Klaus licked his lips. "I think you have feelings for him."

You felt your heart stop for a moment, you focused on trying to think of anything else but the words that had just come out of Klaus' mouth. Knowing they'd detect the slightest flutter in your heart rate, but it was too late.

"It's true isn't it? I can hear it." He tapped his chest. "In here, your heart doesn't lie." Klaus leered over you. "I don't take kindly to liars!" He hissed. From the corner of your eye you could see Elijah sigh, seconds later Elijah had punched Klaus so hard, klaus smashed into the wooden walls of the cabin.

"Get them two out of here!" Elijah shouted to Damon and his group of people. You watched Damon grab Stefan, along with Elena, they dragged him out in seconds. A human man grabbed you, lifting you over his shoulder he carried you out with ease. As you looked back you could see Elijah and Klaus throwing each other against the walls.

"Brothers." A beautiful blonde woman shook her head as she made her way into the cabin.

"Now she turns up." Damon hissed, Elena remained quiet as Damon put Stefan in his car, the human who held you over his shoulder put you in beside him and climbed in beside you.

"Let's get these cuffs off of Stefan first, then he can rip these off you." The man leaned over you to undo Stefans chains.

"Thanks Aleric." Stefan glanced at his open wounds on his wrists. "Here, let me." Stefan smiled kindly at you as he tucked his fingers under the chains that restrained you, he tugged at them carefully, trying not to hurt you. You heard the metal snap, the blood began to flow back to your hands.

"Thanks." You glanced at your hands, watching the colour return to your palms. "What happens now?" You glanced back at the cabin, you couldn't see anyone through the window.

"What happens now, is, we get the hell out of here and hope Elijah and Rebecca can keep a leash on their brother." Damon grumbled as he turned the key in the ignition. You sat in silence as the car pulled out of the woods and down the road. You felt the events of today hit you, biting your lip you fought back tears. You could have died, as much as you told Klaus to kill you, to end it all, you were thankful to be alive. Stefan fought with klaus to protect you, he was willing to let himself die, for you... you let your head rest against the cushioned seat in the car and closed your eyes as you tried to process all these emotions at once. You didn't know what to think, or feel at this moment in time. Your head swirled manically with thoughts as you felt the sweet relief of sleep pull you into a slumber.