Chapter 6 - A Sticky Situation

"Stefan can I ask you a question?" you began, you watched Stefan nod slowly with a kind smile painted on his face. "Why do you let Damon call the shots?" Damon was a thorn in your side, to put it bluntly, he was a massive pain in the ass. If it hadn't have been for him, you could have probably lived in Mystic Falls for a couple of years before your secret was known. You had already had to tell complete strangers about intimate details that happened to you, they basically held your life in their hands and it wasn't something you were comfortable with.

"I let him think he is calling the shots," Stefan smirked arrogantly. it was the first time you'd seen him look so cocky, so confident. You couldn't help but smile at the confidence oozing from him.

"Really? It seemed like you just let him do what he wants." you shrugged.

"Not at all." Stefan turned to face you as you walked by a café. "(Y/N) If he and Elena take the cure and can create more of it, we could become human again. This might surprise you but not every vampire wanted to become what we are. Humanity is beautiful, I miss being human." Stefan had a sullen look on his face for a split second before smiling once more. "As you know from what I told you, I hate being a vampire. One day, I want to be human again." Stefan looked into the distance, as though he was fondly remembering something.

"I hope one day you can have your humanity back." You nod slowly. "For those few weeks that I was a vampire, I hated it. I was petrified I wouldn't be able to live my life." you close your eyes for a second, as though you're trying to block out the memories that came flooding back. the fear, the hunger, the blood lust. "Immortality should not exist, life is precious and with immortality, it gives you a reason not to care about what you do." You look at Stefan who seemed to be listening intently to you.

"That is very true." He smiled. "(Y/N), can I ask you something now?" he began.

"Sure." you shrugged.

"You said you had moved around a lot. Did you not do your research before coming to Mystic Falls? If you had of done it would have shown you that there had been a higher than usual homicide rate here, that would have given you an incline that vampires inhabited the town, wouldn't it?" Stefan seemed puzzled as he asked the question. He had a point, you had done your research though and despite the homicides, you knew the town founders and their families were very anti-vampire. You had researched the members and their families, what they stood for, their history, their journals that had been published online for researches to read... Stefan was wrong. you had definitely done your research...

"I did... But when I realised the founders hated vampires I thought that would give humans a safety net here in Mystic Falls." You said. you did not want to tell him everything, but if you had said nothing, you'd have appeared suspicious. "Can we talk about something other than vampires?" You ask.

"Sure." Stefan smiled. "What do you want to do after all this stuff is over and done with?" he asked. You paused for a moment. What did you want to do? You'd always been focused on survival, that was all you knew and anyway, all this stuff wouldn't be over, ever.

"I haven't really thought about it, considering I'll always be this stupid cure, there won't ever be an end to this will there?" You sighed. Stefan nodded slowly, as though he understood.

"I get it, there are so many things I want to do, that I can't because I'm... well... you know." Stefan smiled, but it wasn't one of his usual cheeky smiles or those beaming smiles. It was a sad smile. "Sorry it was a stupid question I -" Stefan was cut off from his phone ringing. He pulled the phone out of his pocket. "Sorry." he smiled politely at you before answering his phone. "Damon?" He paused for a moment, you watched Stefan's annoyed face, slowly his features began to shift and he had a look you'd seen too many times before on his face. Fear. He was afraid. "Okay, I'll meet you there." Stefan put the phone down and looked at you.
"(Y/N) You need to come with me. You're being hunted." Stefan said in a hushed tone. "I'd say you could handle yourself but against Klaus, you probably couldn't."

"Klaus?" You tilted your head slightly. You'd heard the legends from your parents before about a half werewolf-half vampire who roamed the earth. How there had been a whole family of vampires and that was why they existed, because of those originals. "An Original?" you asked, afraid of the answer.

"Yes." Stefan sighed. You nodded, telling Stefan you understood. You didn't understand why Klaus was hunting you but you knew if an Original vampire was hunting you, you'd better hope they don't find you.

******

Stefan pulled up the car, it seemed as though you two had been driving for hours, talking about mundane things, like what your favourite school subject was or what your most embarrassing moment had been. You looked out of the window, you could see Damon leaning against the bonnet of his car, Elena by his side, you looked to be in the middle of some sort of woods. Stefan climbed out of the car, he opened the door for you and offered you his hand. You accepted his help and placed your hand in his. Your hand felt so small against the large palm of Stefan's hand, he gently helped you out of the car.

"Finally." Damon rolled his eyes sarcastically. "This is an old friends cabin, you can stay here." Damon gestured to you.

"Wouldn't I be safer in my own apartment? He's still partially a vampire, right? I have to invite him in." You shrug.

"He has a pack of hybrids - before Elena was turned he stole her blood to create them. He's got quite a large werewolf following and they don't need an invitation to come into your home." Stefan said softly.

"But I'll be here alone. What if they find me and turn up?" You whispered. Elena smiled warmly at you.

"Don't worry, Damon and I will park up the road, we will keep an ear out for you to make sure you're okay." Elena tried her best to reassure you. You nod, showing you understand what the plan is. Well, you sort of understood. It still didn't stop you from feeling afraid.

"If you want I can stay with you, I can make sure you are safe." Stefan offered, your heart instantly began to beat faster than usual. You reminded yourself that they can hear the slightest change in your heartbeat, but this time you could blame it on the fear. A night alone with Stefan? Part of you wanted to say no, tell them you could handle it yourself and that being alone would probably be for the best but... another part of you wanted to say yes. Spending time with Stefan wasn't the worst thing in the world and his company... his company made you feel safe.

"Sure. That would be nice," you said without thinking, the words came out of your mouth before your brain could process what you had actually said. Stefan smiled at you, you could see Damon had crossed his arms and was giving his brother a smirk. Why was he smirking?

"Well we're gonna go and park the car up the road, we will keep an eye out for Klaus," Damon said before climbing back into his car with Elena. You watched the car drive off through the forest and down the road.

"We should get inside, it'll be safer in the cabin," Stefan said walking towards the cabin. "Hurry up (Y/N) Damon made you the owner of this place, for now, you need to invite me in."

Your head was reeling, a night alone with Stefan? In a cosy cabin? Isn't that what most couples do when they go away? Couples? What? Your mind was in overdrive as you shuffled your way towards the cabin. Tonight was going to be a long night...