Chapter Twenty-Eight

29th May 1964

It would have been Jack's 47th birthday. But the Kennedys weren't in any mood to celebrate. The car drew up outside the cemetery. Bobby, holding hands with Caroline and John emerged and they strode along the silent paths, to the gravesite. 

In December, the bodies of Arabella and Patrick were interred next to their parents. And the gravesite had been formally decorated, so it wasn't just a patch of grass, like everyone else's. 

They caught sight of the eternal flame and went up to it. Together they sat down, on the hard ground and looked on. "Happy birthday daddy" John broke the silence. He reached forward and planted a letter at his father's headstone. "We miss you". Caroline went next and placed some yellow carnations at both graves before backing off to join her brother. 

With their nanny they went back to the car and that left Bobby. At the grave, he laid two white roses, to mark innocence. "We all miss you" Bobby said, tears filling in his eyes. "I make sure the children never forget you. You'll both live forever" Bobby spoke desperately to the grave. He blinked a few times, to make sure he wasn't dreaming. He done the same since the news broke in November the year before. 

He finally let the tears come flooding out. He fell to his knees again and sobbed uncontrollably. "If you need anything, I'm not far" Bobby cried. He then kissed the ground before turning to head back.