Chapter 24

A/N: Last chapter!!! :'(

Carrie's POV 

“Thanks for doing this for me Lucas.”

“No problem, you can’t be alone at your senior homecoming!”

Most people would feel weird about going to a dance with someone just as friends if that same person originally asked you as a date. But Lucas is my best friend. He caught me off guard when he asked me, but we both got over it quickly. I think, somewhere deep down, I knew this was coming, which is why it didn’t freak me out more than it did. But now it’s over and resolved, for both of us. And I think we both needed that area clear.

So, anyway, here we are. At the dance together, as friends.

Lucas’ phone beeps in his pocket and he glances down at it.

“Who is it?”

“No one. You want me to get you a drink?”

“Just water’s fine, and I can get it.”

“No! We’re here together, I insist.”

I smile and thank him, and he heads over to the table.

I stand there awkwardly. Maybe letting him leave me alone wasn’t a good idea.

I scan the crowd and quickly find Anna, who stands out in her bright, sequin-covered, neon green dress dancing with Charles. Not to far away I see Kate and Jonathan spinning in random circles all over the dance floor. I laugh at my friends. Maybe someday I will look at someone like that again.

The song ends, and I nearly break into tears as the new one starts.

He takes your hand

I die a little

I watch you eyes

And I’m in riddles

Why can’t you look at me like that?

When you walk by

I try to say it

But then I freeze

And never do it

My tongue gets tied

The words get trapped

Wait. That sounds…different. Why does this sound…off…

Suddenly the sea of students on the dance floor parts, and I start full on crying.

I hear the beat of my heart getting louder whenever I’m near you

And there is Niall. Standing right in front of me. In a tux. The song sounds different because he’s singing it by himself. Or he was.

But I see you with him slow dancing

Tearing me apart

Cause you don't see

Whenever you kiss him

I'm breaking,

Oh how I wish that was me

I glance around and find that all the other boys are on stage and have jumped in. Niall walks over to me from across the room. He’s walking too slow and I can’t stand it. I grab the bottom of my dress and start full on sprinting towards him (which is very difficult considering I’m still in a boot). We reach each other and he scoops me up in his arms.

He leans down and whispers in my ear. “I never wanted it to end. I didn’t think it had too. I wanted to make it work. And now that I know I can’t forget about you, I’m going to tell you what I should have told you 88 days ago: I love you.”

He presses his lips to mine and my tears fall even harder. I pull away just long enough to tell him what I wanted to tell him 88 days ago.

“I love you too.”

A/N: I think this is a much better ending then the end two chapters ago, don’t you think? Hehe…sorry if I freaked you out but I would never end a Niall Horan fanfic sadly! Anyway, I hope you liked my story! Thanks for sticking it out to the end, it means a lot! If you liked the story please vote! Thanks!

~Becca