Chapter Five (Edited)

~~~I can feel you watching even when you're nowhere to be seen.~~~

Amber's POV

"What do you mean it is a long story?" I asked rubbing my throbbing head. "The last thing I remember was Cody trying to-Oh my gosh Kelly! What is he doing here?" 

"Amber, relax. We will explain everything." Kelly assured me. 

"Maybe we should wait until your dad gets here. You know so we don't have to explain ourselves twice." Cody suggested.

"Your dad? Kelly, why is your dad coming?" 

"Amber, someone tried to hurt you. I'm not going to let the scumbag get away with it!" Kelly told me.

"Okay but-" I started, but was interrupted by a knock on the door. 

Kelly opened it. "Dad!"

"Hey, Kel." He said giving her a quick hug. "So, you wanna tell me what is going on here?" 

"Yeah okay. So, Amber got this note from Cody, a guy in one of her classes, that told her to meet him because he wanted to talk about something." Amber's dad gave me that Don't-you-know-not-to-meet-strangers-look.

"Hey! In my defense, I knew Cody. He wasn't a stranger. Or at least I thought he wasn't a stranger." I exclaimed. 

"Anyway," Kelly continued. "So I go with her, because I am a great friend. She starts talking to Cody and nothing seems wrong. But then, he grabs Amber, and knocks her out using chloroform."

"Yeah, and my head is pounding!" I chip in.

Cody looks at me with guilt in his eyes. "Sorry."

"Yeah ok." I thought Kelly's dad would freak out, but he is just sitting there, listening. 

"So I rush up to Cody and use my badass ninja skills to stop him. I was about to deliver the final blow, when he stopped me and told me that he was forced to do it. I didn't believe him, but he showed me the letter he got from the person who threatened him." Kelly motioned to Cody to explain the rest.

"Yeah, I got a letter that said my family would be hurt if I didn't do what it said." Cody quickly explained. He turned to look at me. "Amber, I'm sorry. I didn't want to do it, I swear. But I couldn't risk getting my family hurt."

I looked straight into his eyes and saw that he really meant it. I knew that he was working hard to get through college and I could see he really cared about his family. 

"Let me see the letter." Kelly's dad asked. Cody gave him the letter and he silently read it to himself. "Okay. So this was some sort of trade? You kidnap Amber, and they will leave your family alone."

"Yes!" Cody says. "And I didn't go to the cops because it said no cops. And then Kelly says she knows someone who can keep this quiet, you I guess." 

"Yes. Do you know if this person actually has your family?" 

"No. I mean I tried calling my sister's phone, but she never picked up."

"Okay. What about your parents?" Kelly's dad questioned.

"My dad died when I was little, and mom died in a car crash a few years ago. All I have left is my older sister and her family. I couldn't risk losing them too."

"Oh my gosh Cody! I didn't know. I'm sorry." I say as I give him a hug. 

"Yeah. Not many people know." Cody trails off. 

"Okay, I'll send some people over undercover to make sure your family is okay." Kelly's dad says. Cody looks grateful at the change of topic. "Okay, let's try to figure out some potential leads. Amber or Cody, do you know of anyone who would try to hurt you or blackmail you in any way? Even if it is small, it could help."