Chapter Three (Edited)

~~~[It] can be so hard to breathe...maybe your reflection shows you screaming out for help.~~~

Amber's POV

As we get closer and closer to the soccer field, I start to doubt my decision to come. I can't put my finger on it, but something doesn't feel right. "Kelly. I'm starting to get a bad feeling from this." I mention to her as we walk. 

"What? Chickening out now are you?" Kelly teases me. 

"No, I'm serious."

"Come on." Kelly says. "You are just nervous because this is the first time since the breakup that you will be interacting with a person of the male gender."

"Trust me. That is not the reason I am nervous." I say. 

"Well, then what is the reason you are so nervous?" 

"I don't know. I just get this feeling that something is off." I tell her. 

"If it makes you feel any better, I'll be here to save your ass if you get into trouble." She teases me. She looks at my concerned expression on my face. "If you really want to turn around and go back, we can."

I look around and see that we are already at the field. "No, we are already here. We might as well stay to see what he wants."

"Spoken like a true girl in a horror movie who almost always ends up dying." Kelly says.

"Cut it out. You are not making me feel better." I say as I give her a friendly push. 

"Fine, fine. I was just kidding." Kelly says. "Let's go wait out in the middle of the field so he can't sneak up on us." I glare at her but she just smiles at me. 

"Fine." I say as I walk past her to show her that I'm not that scared. She catches up pretty easily. Suddenly she yanks my arm and pulls me behind a couple of empty trash cans. "What was that for?

"Shh." She says as she looks over the trash cans. 

"Why are we hiding behind some trash cans?"

"Because. I think we beat him here so let's take this opportunity to come up with a plan." Kelly says. Suddenly she is very serious.

"What the heck. Weren't you the one who just got done saying that nothing was going to go wrong and blah, blah, blah." I say. 

"Yeah." She says and her mischievous grin comes back. "I just wanted to increase the mystery. Get some adrenaline running through those veins." And then she starts laughing at me. 

"You are a real son of biscuit, you know that, right?" I tell her. Her little joke was not amusing to me, although she seemed to find it hilarious. 

"No, but seriously. I think I'll stay here and watch while you go meet him." She suggests.

"Why the hell would you think that is a good idea?" I look at her like she is crazy.

"Because. I think the note implies that he wanted to meet with you alone. I got a sense that it was something very serious that he needed to talk to you about." Kelly answers.

"Oh, look at you. Kelly the Adrenaline Junky wants to stay behind and watch from a safe distance." I tease her. Yeah, give her a taste of her own medicine. 

But Kelly isn't focusing on me. She is looking behind me. I turn around to see what she is looking at and I notice a blond haired boy standing near the entrance of the field. Cody. Looks like he just got here. "Go! I'll be right here."

"Fine." I said. "You can do this." I whisper to myself as I start to walk over to him. At least he is standing in the light of the streetlight, so I can actually confirm it is him. It takes him ten seconds to see me coming, because Kelly and I weren't that far away from this spot. I think I could see a flash of relief come over his face, but he quickly masks it. "Hey Cody." I say once I am in talking distance. I strategically put a few feet of safe distance in between in us. You can never be too sure. 

"Oh hey." He says. I can't help but notice that he looks nervous. "I was starting to think you wouldn't show." 

That confused me. He literally just got here, but I didn't want to admit that I watched him arrive, so I said, "Well, what is life without a little mystery?" 

"Yeah, I guess." He chuckles at my lame attempt to try and lighten up the mood. I guess it worked a little bit, because there is a small smile on his face.

"What did you want to talk about?" I said, and just like that the smile disappeared. "Is everything okay?" I ask him. I hope everything is okay. One of the reasons I came out to meet him was because I considered him a friend and therefore I care about him. I mean, he did help me pass many labs, and that is good karma in my book. 

"Can we sit?" He asks as he gestures to a nearby bench. Oh no. Sitting usually means that you have to deliver bad news. 

"Sure." I say. As I turn my back to him and start walking toward the bench, I hear him spray something. What the... I turn back around to see what it was, only to notice that he is much closer to me than before. So instinctively, I step back. He steps closer. If we keep doing this, soon I will cornered, but I will not let that happen. "Um Cody?" I say, but he doesn't stop. "You're starting to scare me." He ignores me. 

Alarm bells go off in my head as my instincts are screaming, danger, at me. So I do the first thing that I can think of to do to try to get away. I run. But I don't get very far before he grabs my wrist and yanks me back to him. Now I'm in a completely vulnerable position with my back to his chest and with him in complete control. He also managed to trap my arms behind my back before he pressed me against his chest. Curse him and his damn fast reflexes. Realizing it is pointless to try to escape his grip, as he is much stronger than me, I do the next best thing. I scream. I barely get much sound out before he places something over my mouth. It's not his hand. It feels like a cloth. That is when I realize what it was that he sprayed. It was chloroform. I hold my breath and try my hardest to not breath in any of the toxic chemicals. 

"Come on, Amber. You are not making this easy for yourself." He whispers in my ear. Why the hell would I make it easy for you to just knock me out? Um, I don't think so, mister. 

"Please just breath and it will all be over." He says. I detect concern and worry in his voice as he pleads with me to give in. My lungs were screaming for air, but I managed to hold out. Yes, I realize that if I don't breath in I am going to pass out anyway from the lack of oxygen, but I'm not ready to go down without a fight. I can hold out for a few more seconds. 

"Fine, you made me do it." He says as he quickly yanks back my arm. I yelp out in pain, and at the same time, breath in the chemicals from the chloroform. That son of a bitch. That wasn't fair. "That's it. There you go." He soothes me as I start to feel the effects of the drug kick in. 

"I'm sorry." he tells me as I start to fade away. I'm getting dizzy, the world is starting to spin, and pretty soon I am helpless as the drug takes over. I collapse against him as the world goes dark. 

This is not the way I wanted to go out. I wanted to live a long life. Oh well, I hope heaven is nice. At least in heaven I won't have any tests or have to do any homework. 

A/N: Hey Guys! Don't forget to vote and comment! -Megan