Chapter 8

It was Christmas Eve. David's family came over for dinner.

Darcy handed me a gift, "David asked me to buy this for the baby."

I opened the gift to find some tiny band t shirts for the baby. I chuckled, this would be something he would get for me. I went upstairs to put them in the closet along with the rest of the clothes.

I took a look at the nursery, it was almost all finished. I pulled out the picture frame I had with my sonograms and I hung it up on the wall. Perfect, I thought.

I went back downstairs just in time for dinner.

"I wish David were here with us," I said, "I still can't believe he's in jail, he should be here with me preparing for the baby."

"I know hon," said Darcy, "but he'll be out before we know it."

I didn't say anything, I just filled my mouth with soup.

Later that night, I couldn't sleep. I kept tossing and turning.

Sometime during the restless night, I fell asleep and woke up to be Christmas morning. I dreaded getting out of bed, knowing that I have to spend yet another holiday at David's house without David being here.

"Looks like you'll give birth any day now," said David's dad.

"I still have about 10 weeks to go."

I dreaded the next 10 weeks, I'll be starting the new semester soon and having the baby is going to get in the way of my schoolwork. I really hope I won't end up having to drop out. That would ruin everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was New Years Eve. I didn't have any plans this year. If David weren't in jail, him and I would probably be spending the night together. Instead, I decided to pack my hospital bag. I took out the bag that Agnes bought for me and I filled it up with the baby's coming home outfit, some makeup, travel beauty products, and lots of diapers. I'm hoping this will be enough to get me through the birth.

Just then, I felt a very intense cramp in my abdomen.

"Mom!" I screamed, "I think the baby is coming!"

My mom ran upstairs into my room.

"That's impossible sweetie, you're only 31 weeks along."

"Well I am having cramps, I think it's a contraction."

"Are they consistent?" she asked.

"I don't know!" I cried out.

"Okay calm down," she said.

"I think my water broke!" I screamed.

"Okay, let's get you to a hospital," she said as she helped me down the stairs and into her car.

She drove down to the emergency room and quickly got me checked in. They took me on a stretcher right away and into my own corner.

The nurse kept asking me questions but the last thing I remember is blacking out right on my new hospital bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~