Chapter Forty Nine: Invisible (Wo)Man

*Dustin's POV*
   "God, what happened to her?" Lucas asked.
   We had all just watched Mon run out of Hopper's study crying, run to me, then run out the door. She was obviously too upset to care, but we were all trying to figure out what could have happened
   "Well, Lucas, it's probably not super fun to have a vision of your dead boyfriend," El said, rolling her eyes at him. "Maybe she's still grieving."
   Will kept staring at her through the door. "When did she grab Kleenex- oh my God, she's bleeding." He jumped up and went outside to make sure Mon was alright.
   The rest of us simply turned to look at what he'd seen: a huge, red stain on the tissue, and Mon with blood all over her face. We were all staring, something she hated, so I tried to get the attention back on me.
Before I could, though, Mike stood up. "Alright, Will's already out there, so I don't see the point in us crowding her and making it worse. Who wants a Coke?"
El and Max raised their hands and Lucas, Sarah, and I just stared at each other, dumbfounded. Mike was the one to stick up for Mon. Mike Wheeler! Sarah was still relatively new, but even she knew that I was always the first to defend Steve's sister.
   After turning to Mike, we heard Will scream. Again, our heads flicked towards the porch, where Will stood. Alone.
   Well, seemingly alone. Mon appeared out of thin air a second later, making us all scream. It was like she turned invisible.
   Wait.
   She did turn invisible.
   "Holy shit!" Will shrieked before running back inside. "How- how is she- why is she?"
   "What is she?" Hopper asked from behind us.
   As Mon came back inside, her appearance flickered. She was a flashlight on low battery. On, off, on, off. Here, gone, here, gone. None of us knew how to react, so none of us did.
   "What's happening?" Mon asked. "What am I doing? I feel so weird, but it looks like nothing's happening!"
   Again, we were all dumbfounded. She didn't even know she was using her power.
   "My nose is bleeding agai- oh."
   Well, now she might.
   El, Max, and Sarah, the bravest visible members of the Party, approached their adoptive sister carefully. As they got closer, it was apparent that they had no plan past getting up and walking toward her.
   "I have an idea." Max got closer to Mon, who was watching us all intently. Without a word, Max stretches out her totally flat palm and tried to swipe it through Mon's semi-visible figure.
   Her hand stopped abruptly after making contact with Mon's ribs. Hard contact.
   "Goddamnit, Max!" Mon jumped back, clutching her side gingerly. "What the hell was that?"
   Max smiled sheepishly. "Well, now we know you're real."
   "Of course I'm real, you numbskull!"
   Max held up her hands in self-defense, making Mon flinch. "Well, excuse me," she said. "It was kind of hard to tell with your sporadic vanishing act."
   "Vanishing a- OH MY GOD!" Mon looked down at her hand, only to notice that it- along with the rest of her from the waist down- had disappeared. "Why didn't anyone tell me?"
   "We were too busy being scared of you, Nikki."
   Mon rolled her eyes. "Thank you, El."
Will finally got the courage to walk closer to Mon. "So... you're still you?"
"Same me as I've always been. Only now I'm even more invisible."
Everyone rolled their eyes at her terrible joke as Steve came out of the study to see his sister's hologram-like form.
"Holy shit."
"Yeah, Nikki has powers," Mike said, obviously the most casual about this. I mean, it makes sense since he's had a girlfriend with superpowers forever, but...
   Steve stared at her- well, the spot where she was standing- as though trying to figure out how to react. Once he decided, he walked toward her flickering figure, hugging her around the waist. It looked for a moment as though he were embracing an imaginary friend.
"We'll figure this out together, Nik."
   "Figure this out?" Mon's appearance was flickering much more rapidly now, making it almost painful to look at her. "Steve, I have superpowers! I don't really have time to 'figure it out.' I need to earn to control this. Now."
   "But, Nikki, how are you going to do that?"
   "I'll help her." Sarah spoke for the first time in a very long time. This earned a strobe light-like smile from our disappearing girl, whose flickering started to calm down.
   Will raised his hand. "Why is this all coming back to her now? Why didn't it come back when she met El and Sarah?"
   "Not sure," Hopper said. "My guess is that with the overwhelming amount of trauma she's gone through, Harrington's powers resurfaced to protect her."
   Mon shook her head. "No. No, this can't be- this is obviously some twisted continuation of my nightmare, right? I mean- God, I don't need superpowers!"
Sarah put her hand on Mon's shoulder, using a bandana in the other to wipe her bloody nose. "Hey. Everything's gonna be alright, okay? When El and I got out of Hawkins, we didn't have anyone to help us control any of our abilities. Now you have two people here for you."
   El placed her hand over Mon's. "Two sisters."
   "My sister." With those two words, Steve stormed out of the house.