Chapter Thirty Five: First Kiss

*Will's POV*
   While Nikki and Dustin had their moment of adorability, the rest of us guys were too nervous to go on the dance floor, worried about embarrassing our dates with our awful dancing. El and Max weren't too keen on dancing either, but I could see all three of the girls looking wistfully at Dustin and Nikki.
"Those idiots are really making us look like awful dates," Lucas muttered to me.
I rolled my eyes, also smiling at the adorable couple. "Shut up, they're cute."
"If they're so cute, why don't you take Sarah and go dance with them?" Mike asked, raising an eyebrow expectantly.
   I shook my head with a laugh. "Dude, come on. You know I can't dance."
   Lucas rolled his eyes and stood up. "This is Sarah's first real social event. She has to dance at least once." He walked over to Max, holding out his hand and pulling her up, shooting me a wink. "Come on, fellas. Let's show our ladies a good time."

You're so fine
And you're mine
I'll be yours
'Til the end of time

"Oh, gosh, Lucas," Max exclaimed. "Did you have to pull me out to this song?"

Like a virgin
Touched for the very first time

Sarah laughed at the uncomfortable expression on El and Max's faces at the lyrics. "It's just Madonna," she said. "At least they're not playing Marvin Gaye."
"You know Marvin Gaye?" I asked with interest.
"Have I been living under a rock?" She laughed as she too stood up. "Shall we?"
I nodded, grabbing her hand and walking onto the dance floor, where Sarah proceeded to proudly belt out the lyrics:

'Cause you made me feel
Yeah, you made me feel
I've got nothing to hide

I hoped I actually did that for Sarah. Made her feel like she had nothing to hide. We'd been friends for a bit now, and we were the closest platonic couple in the group- except for maybe me and Nikki, but that's because we've known each other forever. Sarah was opening up to everyone slowly, but the two of us were thick as thieves. I definitely liked her, but I didn't want to say anything because she just needs someone to trust right now.
"Will?" Sarah was looking at me warily, trying to read my emotions from my eyes. There was something unreadable about her face, too. She was looking at me a way I'd never seen.
I shook myself out of it, smiling at her. "Yeah, what's up?"
As if she'd been launched forward by a rocket, Sarah practically jumped into my arms, her lips pressed firmly against mine.
Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit! What do I do? This never happens to me. I'm Will bloody Byers, Zombie Boy. Nobody's ever wanted to kiss me!
Then I realized, in the few seconds Sarah had been kissing me, I wasn't kissing back. Well, now's as good a time as ever to learn how to kiss. I pulled her closer, kissing her back, my eyes closing as I felt her eyelashes flutter on my cheek.
"Dustin, look," I heard Nikki say, but I was too dazed to realize that I was the one they were all staring at. Will Byers, the only consistently single guy in the party, finally kissed a girl.
I couldn't breathe, so I had to back up a little, eyes blinking open. Sarah and I both just stared at each other for a second, not really sure of what to do next.
"Well, that was... um- I..."
Sarah laughed as I continued to stutter and fumble for a response. "That wasn't bad," she said, almost shocked. Then she laughed again. "Um... we've got spectators."
Nikki, Dustin, and all of our other friends, along with Mr. Clarke, were watching us, smiling gleefully.
"It's about time," Nikki said, turning back to Dustin as Dancing in the Street came on.
Sarah took my hand, leading me out of the gym. "We should talk. Privately."
I nodded, following her anxiously. I turned my head to see Max giving me a thumbs up as Lucas and Mike wiggled their eyebrows at me. Nerds.
   Sarah laughed as the bright light of the hallway hit us. "You hadn't done that before, had you?" she asked.
   "Er... no? Why? Was I that bad, coz I-"
   "No," she interrupted, an entertained grin on her lips. "It's just, people don't usually stop what they're doing to stare at someone who's kissed a girl before."
   I rolled my eyes. "They've all kissed girls before," I muttered bitterly. "Even Dustin! Why Nikki picked him, I still have no idea-"
   "Well, you were perfect," Sarah interrupted again, reigning me in from my little rampage. "And, ya know... I haven't even been around kids my own age since I was a toddler, so you're not the only one who had their first kiss tonight."
Honestly, that was reassuring. If I was bad at kissing, Sarah wouldn't know. But it also kind of sucked because I didn't know whether or not she was bad at kissing. I mean, I liked it, but I had no reference point...
"You okay?" Sarah put her hand on my shoulder and squeezed lightly. "You're awful quiet."
Smiling at the thought that I was someone's first kiss, I took Sarah's hand off my shoulder and held it in mine. "I'm... fantastic."