Chapter Fourteen: Aftermath of the Attack

*Dustin's POV*
"Nikki!"
Steve lead the horde of people running to his little sister, who was quickly losing consciousness along with all of the blood.
"Is she okay?" Lucas asked.
Mike rolled his eyes. "Of course she's not okay, dumbass."
I knelt down next to her, holding her head in my hand. "Mon? Mon, please, stay with me."
Steve was kneeling on the other side of her, taking the bag that had flown off of her back and rummaging through for a first aid kit.
Grrr.
Shit. We had all forgotten about the Displacer. I jumped up and started to run, but Will pulled me back.
"Dustin, what are you doing?" he asked.
I looked back to the unconscious brunette girl, her scratched-up and bloody face still somehow peaceful as her eyes shut completely. "She almost died, Will. She might still-"
"Dustin, don't say that-"
"I'm being realistic, Will," I cut in. "I need to make sure it doesn't kill anyone else."
Will let me go, patting me back. "Be careful."
"Nothing about this is careful," I muttered as I kept going, looking for anything I could use to defend myself; going up against this thing unarmed was stupid, I know, but Mon went in with less experience than any of us. If she can do it, so can I.
As the Displacer got closer to me, I tripped over a stick. Or... what I thought was a stick. Looking down, I quickly picked up the thing that had probably fallen when my girlfriend was running: Mon's pocket knife. I grabbed it and jammed it into the Displacer's neck, making it bleed this really ugly color. It screeched, but didn't seem to be dying. Hurt, not dying.
I had to do something else. Come on, Dustin, think. Mon could be dying right now, you have to kill this thing and get back to her. I turned around quickly to see everyone crowded around the mangled mess that was Monica Harrington. It was like some sick version of Snow White. Well, sicker version; those Grimm Brothers wrote some weird shit.
Then I remembered some of what Mon taught us. The elbow thing she liked so much. I ran backwards at the Displacer, tucking in my elbow before jamming it into the monster's neck. And what do you know?
The bastard didn't die.
No, it was still kicking, but I definitely angered it. It stumbled around for a minute, obviously injured, breathing more heavily than before. Out of ideas, I started to back up. I'm sorry, Mon.
Grrr.
The Displacer, regaining its strength, met eyes with me and started to charge. I didn't want to run- that's not what Mon would do- so I stood my ground, trying desperately to figure out what to do. The monster got way closer than I was comfortable, making me back up a little, but quickly move forward again as I tried to be brave.
   "You idiot!" Max was running to me. "Don't try to be a hero, Dustin, you're gonna get hurt."
   I shook my head, not even turning to face her. "I can do thi- holy shit!" The Displacer had me pinned to the ground with its huge silver-blue paw. Roaring madly, it made me want to close my eyes. But still, I raised my leg and kicked its belly, sending it skidding backward. Damn, maybe I am a strong nerd.
   "Good job, dipshit! You've kept it alive!" Max grabbed my arm in an attempt to pull me back, but I shrugged her off of me, turning around to see if she had any useful weapons. She was holding Mon's pepper spray, spattered with the Harrington girl's ruby-like blood. I shuddered at the sight of the crimson substance, but took the pepper spray, covering the knife with it before giving the bottle back to the redhead, charging right at the beast.
   With one good blow, I shoved the knife into the Displacer's eye, causing it to roar in pain. Its own blood, along with some of my girlfriend's, now covered the knife in my grasp, making me sick at the thought. The monster was starting to give up- I could see it in its remaining eye- and was now lying on the ground.
   "No more." I stabbed at the monster, jumping back in surprise when the knife went through the beast's stomach.
I forgot it could go invisible.
   The Displacer had found time to get away from me, leaving a trail of blood behind its invisible body.
It was going toward Mon.
   "I don't think so."
   I wasn't the one who uttered those four words. Nancy Wheeler raised her gun, motioning for us all to get back. But if the Displacer moved, she'd shoot Mon.
   I ran to where Mon was still passed out just as a deafening bang! rang out in the woods. I guess Nancy actually got it, because I didn't feel any-
   "Dustin! Oh, shit." Nancy had lowered the gun, eyes wide, and stared at me. Everyone else was watching me worriedly, but I didn't feel anything.
   "Guys, I'm fine."
   Will pointed at my chest. "D-dude."
   I looked down at my shirt. There was a huge red splotch right near where most people's collarbones are. (Cleidocranial dysplasia, remember?) There were beads of blood racing down my chest, getting to the hem of my shirt before beginning to fall. I moved before it could  get on Mon, the adrenaline wearing off and the pain kicking in.
   "Son of a bitch!" I screamed, holding my chest as I fell on my knees.
   Mike started to freak out. He was worried about me. Aw. "Where's El?"
   So much for that.
   Steve took off his denim overshirt, pressing it to my wound. "It's okay, buddy. Everything is going to be okay."
   "How's Mon?" I asked, my voice weakening by the minute. I had then realized I hadn't actually found out if she was going to live or not.
   "She'll be alright, kiddo," Nancy said, patting my head as everyone else except for the Harrington boy and Wheeler girl went to look for El. I sat up, making me groan in pain, but watched as El reached out her hand, glaring at and focusing on the Displacer. She made a fist, and the Displacer's breathing became struggled and hard. After a lot of screaming from both the monster and the girl killing it, the Displacer fell on the ground. Dead at last.
   "She's got the damn Force," I whispered, making Steve and Nancy laugh.
   Steve reached into Mon's backpack as El's legs gave out. Her superpowers drained her energy; she needed food to recharge.
   "She must've just restocked this thing," Steve said as he pulled out of Mon's bag a Tupperware bin labeled 'If El Uses Her Powers Too Much.' Inside were a bunch of different things: Three Musketeers, applesauce, Cheez-Its, and a lot of other foods. There was a shit ton of water bottles in the backpack, two of which Steve took out, giving one to El and one to me.
   "Steve, he needs to go to a hospital," Jonathan said as they all came back around me, seeing the blood all over the shirts covering me.
   Steve tried to pick me up, but couldn't. I may be strong, but I'm also a heavy nerd. "Dustin, can you walk?"
   "I can try." I stood up- with much difficulty- and walked to Steve's car, bitching and moaning the whole way about the pain. "WAIT!" I said as I got in the car. "What about your sister?"
   Steve smiled. "She'll be fine. Don't worry, girls love guys with scars."
   "Steve, she should be brought to the hospital too," I insisted.
   "Dude, you're gonna bleed out if we don't go now. The others can take care of Nikki. Let's go." He pushed me into the car, starting it and driving as fast as possible.