Chapter Thirty Nine: That Night

A/N:  I've realized I didn't really make a cast for my major OCs. I've recast the role of Monica Harrington, who will now be portrayed by Odeya Rush. Teen Sarah Hopper (not an O.C. but we don't know what she looks like) will be played by Elle Fanning, and Liam Thornton will be played by the perfect, beautiful angel known as Elliot Fletcher. Carry on!

*Nikki's POV*
   "You have a what with who?"
   So I told Steve about my date with Liam, and you can imagine how that went. Of course, Steve only knew Liam as That Freshman who Tutored Me, but he still hated him automatically.
   "Steve, calm down!" I exclaimed as I laid out choices for my outfit tonight. "Liam's a great guy!"
   "What's wrong with Dustin?"
   Shit. "We're not exactly... well, I don't know what the hell is going on between us." Honestly. One minute he's a jackass, the next, he's passing me notes in English?
   Steve groaned. "You guys fought monsters together! How are you torn apart by high school drama?"
   "Torn apart?" I repeated. "Steve, look: I'm going out with Liam, okay? I'm almost fifteen, I can handle myself!"
   "Exactly! You're fifteen! Why can't Junior Boy get a girl his own age?"
   "He can!" I protested. Then I felt my face get all hot as I smiled. "He just wants me."
   "Nik, at least promise me one thing," Steve said, all exasperation in his voice turning to seriousness. "Be careful."
   I wrinkled my nose a bit. "Careful? Steve, I'm not gonna let him do anything, don't be stupid. I'm not as naive as Nancy was." When he flinched at the very mention of her name, I rolled my eyes. "Oh, come on. You can't deny it that, especially now that she and Jonathan are having their own-"
   "Okay, okay, okay! Make it stop." Steve laughed, although he was definitely uncomfortable. "Nikki, I trust you. It's just him that I don't trust."
   I grabbed a brush and began ripping away at my knitted hair. "Then trust me to make my own decisions," I said. "I can handle myself."
   Steve sighed. "Fine. But if he pulls anythi-"
   "He won't," I said. "I'm getting dressed now." I shut the door to my room, picking out something casual enough, but also which looked like I put some sort of effort into it:

" I shut the door to my room, picking out something casual enough, but also which looked like I put some sort of effort into it:

   It was a little cold outside, being January and all, but I would be fine. I've handled a supernatural stab wound, I could handle this; plus, the cold never much bothered me anyway.
   Leaving my hair loose and wild, I waltzed into the living room of our apartment. Steve smiled a little. "You look comfortable."
"What's wrong with this outfit?" I asked indignantly, twirling as if that would change Steve's opinion on the ensemble.
"Nothing, nothing," Steve assured me. "It's just... well, you're not going out with your friends. Or Dustin. This Liam kid might actually care what you look like."
I scoffed. "Well, then, that would be stupid."
"It would. But, I mean-"
Knock, knock.
I grabbed my bag and ran to the door. "No time to change now. Bye!"
Steve somehow beat me there, his hand on the door knob. "Not so fast." He opened the door, smiling a sweet yet intimidating smile. "Hey there, Liam."
I pushed Steve a little out of the way so I could see Liam. He looked nice, but was also not super overdressed. He'd definitely run a comb through his gorgeously curly hair, and straightened out the small amount of hair on his chin. He smiled back at Steve. "H-hey, Steve. Nice to see you again."
I was half expecting Steve to make Liam call him Mr. Harrington (or Mrs. since he was basically the Party's mom), but instead he said, "Watch the hands, respect her, and be home by 10."
"Ten?" I repeated. He originally said 8 tonight, but I guess he'd changed his mind. Although he used to let me stay out as late as I wanted with Dustin...
Steve nodded, patting my back. "Have fun, Nik." He then lightly pushed me out the door, shutting it behind him, and leaving me and Liam standing in the hallway.
"You look awesome," he remarked. "Digging the shirt."
I looked self-consciously at the short, forgetting it's saying: Go to Hell. I then laughed awkwardly. "Yeah, well... you look pretty cool, too."
He was wearing a white shirt- a plain, boring-on-anyone-else white shirt- which he somehow made look amazing. He was also wearing a leather jacket like me, but Dustin would say I wore it better.
I wondered what they were all doing tonight. The rest of the party. I realized I was the first one to hang out with someone not in the party in forever. (Not including before Max joined, since she was basically in the party the moment Lucas and Dustin saw her.) They probably weren't even missing me.