Chapter 18 - Where it all Began

00:30 – Day of the Incident

After days of feeling like absolute crap on end, drinking the healing potion from Stella was an amazing relief for Jesse. Feeling bits of her old self instantaneously restored, the sickness fading away... temporarily. One to two days, maybe even three, and she'd start to deteriorate again.

Jesse looked at herself in the mirror, her face a pale yellow colour thanks to the tainted light from the lantern. She was dressed in her warmest set of clothes, a thick down teal jacket with a bunch of sweaters beneath it.

Taking a deep breath, Jesse reached down and picked up her bag of most valuable belongings. Tossing it over her shoulder, she stepped out of her bedroom. Her heart beating painfully as she realised she might never sleep in that bed again, or get to sit in the window seat and look out over Beacontown.

Olivia was the only one ready so far, leaning against the living room wall. She was staring down at a piece of paper, her gaze sad. When Jesse came down the stairs, Olivia glanced up slightly.

"Hey." Jesse greeted softly. "Ready?"

"I'm... not sure." Olivia admitted, looking back down at the paper and gulping slightly. "This is all... really scary."

"I know." Jesse said, managing a small smile. "What have you got there?"

She walked over to Olivia, the engineer tilting the paper so Jesse could see too. It was the new year's photograph, all their faces smiling up from the picture. Slightly bent on one side, the image's quality no longer what it once was.

"It all happened so suddenly." Olivia said, sighing. She lowered the photograph, slipping it into the pocket of her red coat.

Hearing another set of footsteps coming down the stairs, Jesse looked up to see Petra coming down. The redhead looked probably the least scared of them all, steel determination painted across her face.

"The potion still doing what it should?" Petra asked Jesse as she came walking up. The only thing that actually frightened the warrior, being her friend's health.

"Yeah, I'm good." Jesse responded, nodding her head. "Let's hope everything else goes as planned as well."

Petra gave a determined nod as well. Soon Lukas and Axel came over as well, their own bags packed and rugged up in warm winter clothing.

"Radar's waiting for us at the treasure hall." Jesse explained. "He has two cars ready, so we can get everything to the destination."

"Sounds good." Lukas responded as they all left the Order Hall, walking out into the windy night.

Nobody spoke any words as they walked through the quiet night air, heading in the direction of the treasure hall. Axel had subconsciously wrapped one arm around Olivia, her head resting on his shoulder as they walked.

Radar was indeed waiting for them at the treasure hall, also dressed up warmly. His black hair all hidden beneath a fluffy wool hat, his brown eyes anxiously darting around.

"So, who will take which car?" Petra asked as they stopped, eyeing the two cars that were waiting there.

"I'm willing to take the first shift as driver in one!" Radar quickly spoke up.

"Me too." Lukas decided.

"The rest of us could split up as well, two of us can ride with Lukas and two with Radar." Jesse suggested.

Petra casually reached out a hand, pulling Jesse a bit closer to her. "I call dibs on riding with Jesse." 

Jesse just rolled her eyes and chuckled, but didn't object.