Meeting Mr. Carrozza

Start from the beginning

"Steak, green beans, and macaroni." Her dad turned his attention towards her his features softening briefly.

"Come let's sit down." Ricardo leads us through a kitchen and into a formal dining room. Alonzo, her cousin that I met at the store is already sitting at the table.

"Holy shit he actually came!" Alonzo gasps when we walk through the door.

"I don't think we've formally met, I'm Luca." I extend my arm for the kid to shake and he beams up at me like a Christmas tree.

"Alonzo." He nods shaking my hand much more at ease than both of the older men now sitting at the opposite end of the table. I pull Olivia's chair out and wait for her to sit down before scooting her closer to the table before taking my own seat. I feel their intense gazes on me but I pretend not to notice.

I grab the last piece of steak off of the plate and then pick up the bowl of macaroni scooping some onto my plate. I scoop a spoonful onto Olivia's plate smirking when she smiles brightly up at me. I finish making my plate and start to eat ignoring the awkward quiet atmosphere that had settled in. Only the sounds of forks and knives moving across the plates filled the air.

"So dad how is work?" Olivia asks making conversation and he shoots her a dead pan look.

"You know I can't talk about work with him here Olivia." He snapped shooting daggers at me. You can't blame her for trying, the air was fucking suffocating.

"Well how about you actually make an effort to bring up conversation?" Her tone was wavering so I placed my hand on her knee squeezing it before rubbing circles on her thigh, I watched her let out a breath of relief from my touch. I love having the ability to calm her when she is distress.

"How long have you been with the force?" I ask chewing on a piece of steak, that was actually delicious and very flavorful.

"A little over twenty years. I joined when Olivia was two years old." I didn't really care. I hate law enforcement, I appreciate they do their jobs but it often interferes with my own and causes nothing but problems.

"When did you join?" I turn my attention towards Felix who narrows his eyes at me before grunting and answering.

"Nineteen years ago." His tome clipped and full of irritation.

"How did you two ya know start dating or whatever?" Olivia's cousin Alonzo asked and I was thankful that someone other than me asked something.

"Well she's worked for me for a few years but recently we had to spend more time together and it just sort of happened." I answered as honestly as I could. I couldn't say 'well I discovered her family is the law so we made a deal, I gave her an ultimatum to come stay with me and help me find out who is undercover or I'll break your dads bones' so I just gave a short yet honest answer. Guilt consumed me for the ultimatum I gave her months ago but if I wouldn't have done it I'd never be in this relationship with her and the thought of not having her is unbearable. I don't give a flying fuck about the undercover operation anymore. I have guys picking through each and everyone of my employees, I'll find them on my own. I don't want Olivia to do it. I want her to myself like the selfish greedy bastard that I am.

"So what's your deal?" Ricardo rested his elbows on the table sizing me up.

"Excuse me?" I arch a quizzed eyebrow at the man who was trying his best to intimidate me even though it may work on someone else, anyone else, but not me.

"Well it's no secret what you do for a living, but what exactly do you do?" He shot back.

"I own several businesses, hotels, clubs, even an apartment complex."