18

Pietro had spent as much time as possible reconnecting with his sister. Between their jobs, however, as well as their personal lives, finding the time could be difficult. They had managed coffee once or twice, but for the most part, they spent their time together at one of their apartments. 

Today was one of those days. It was a Saturday and Wanda was swamped with assignments that needed to be marked by Monday. They had arranged the previous weekend to see each other after their plans were cancelled last Saturday. She ended up packing the papers away into her bag, along with her pens and the marking booklet to get the work done while at Pietro's. It was the easiest solution that avoided her needing to cancel the plans again and it meant that she got to kill two birds with one stone, as the American's said. 

When Wanda arrived at the front door of the apartment, she hugged her bag to her side, hoping her brother wouldn't mind her bringing over her work. It would distract her from Pietro and she felt bad for not being able to come up with a better solution. 

Pietro opened the door and his sister smiled at him crookedly. 

"I hope you don't mind, I uh... Well, the work needs to be on Monday and there's just so much of it. I know this was meant to just be a day for you and me but, well..." She sighed and tucked her hair back, glancing to the floor. "I hope you're not mad but I brought my papers over to mark while we hang out." She looked back up to see Pietro with an askew grin. 

"It's alright. As long as you're also not mad at me for uh, multitasking today."

Tilting her head, Wanda didn't understand what he was talking about until a little blur flew past Pietro and hit her legs. She blinked and looked down to see Peter hugging her legs. 

"Hi, Aunty Wanda!" He squealed, looking up from where his head was buried in the fabric of her skirt. He was bouncing, his little arms clutched tightly to her thighs and she stared down at the boy. 

Wanda had only spoken to Peter briefly before he fell asleep on Pietro's birthday and was promptly sent to bed. Pietro had told her about Peter through, her brother adored the kid like his own son. It was sweet, really, and Wanda was glad to get to know Peter. 

"I'm babysitting," Pietro explained as he urged his sister to come inside. He shut the door as Lucky came over to investigate, not wanting her to escape. Peter bounded back into the living room as the two adults followed behind. "Steve is at work today and Tony came over to see Clint. I told them it was okay if they wanted to go somewhere fun while I looked after Peter. I forgot you were meant to be coming over today which sounds horrible, I know, but-"

Wanda laughed, setting her bag down by the side of the sofa as she settled herself down onto the cushion. "It's alright, Pietro. As long as we get to hang out I'm happy." 

Pietro smiled a little and nodded, "Do you want anything to drink?"

"Coffee would be great, thank you." She watched as her brother walked away to the kitchen to prepare their drinks. When she turned back, Peter was sat in front of her on the opposite side of the coffee table. He was staring at her intently, crayon in hand. His tongue stuck out to the side in concentration.  She watched as he looked back at his paper and began to draw again, pausing every so often to look at Wanda. She shook her head slightly as she began to dig out her papers from her bag, ready to organise them so she could begin marking them. She cleared a space on the coffee table, making sure it was okay with Peter as she had to move his crayons and papers out of the way. The boy was unbothered, too focused on his drawing to pay much mind. 

Pietro set the mug down on the nearest coaster, being careful as to not ruin the meticulous organization of his sister's papers. 

"So work is going good then?" Pietro gave a glance at the pile of papers that had been placed on the table. Wanda laughed as she opened up her marking booklet.