Chapter Eleven

Thanks for all the votes & comments everybody. I really appreciate them all. We're a little over halfway through this part, I can't believe only one more book to go. So this chapters different than usual, hope you still like it.

Chapter Eleven

There were just a few more nights left of Christmas break. The fun I have had over the past few days ended the second I received that letter from Silvius. He was being sent on a mission. Who knows where he could be sent or what he could be doing? These missions were far from vacations. They were dangerous and it was killing me to think of what he has gotten himself into. I kept thinking back to how he joined for my sake. If anything happened to him, I would blame myself. I didn't leave my dorm for an entire day. I didn't want to talk to anyone. I was sick of the lying and I wanted to be alone. Veronica came up to see what was wrong, but I told her I didn't feel like talking. She completely understood how I felt. She left me alone but kindly brought me some food from the kitchens when I missed the meals that day.

It was the last night before everyone got back. At least tomorrow would be distracting with everyone returning to school. I came out my room and saw Veronica reading something on the couch. She looked up at me. "Hey what's..." she didn't even have to finish asking because my eyes filled with tears. I hadn't cried over the letter yet but of course now I would. All of my worries just hit me at once. "Can you tell me what's wrong?"

"Here," I said handing her the letter from Silvius and wiping a tear from my eye. I wasn't going to ball my eyes out here so I quickly dried them up.

"Carlie..." she began saying as she read the letter, "I'm sorry but I'm sure he'll be fine. You never know what will happen on these missions. It could be shorter than he thinks." I nodded but didn't believe it. Silvius sugarcoated things, and for him to write it would only be a few months meant it would be many months. I took the letter back from her and put it in my pocket.

"Am I interrupting something?" Draco asked as he walked over to us. He stopped in front of me. "Why do you look like you've been crying?" he asked looking at me but I didn't respond.

"Can't you see she doesn't want to talk to you?" Veronica snapped at him.

"Well, she doesn't have to talk but she does have to come with me," he responded glaring at my friend. I stood up because if I didn't, I may get in trouble. Veronica looked at me questionably, but didn't say anything.

We walked down the hallway and for once I didn't ask any questions. For a change, he was the one asking questions. "Why were you crying?" he asked once more. "You never cry." I shrugged and wasn't going to answer him. "Oh, so we're going to play that game are we?" He stopped abruptly and turned taking the letter out of my pocket. How did he know?

"Hey!" I yelled jumping to grab it, but as tall as I was, he was taller. He quickly read over the letter and then he seemed to understand. He handed it back to me. "Did I say you could read my letter?" I snapped crunching it up and putting it in my pocket.

"I'm sure it's nothing major," Draco responded as we continued walking. "They give the really dangerous stuff to people who aren't worthy of the mark or people who've had experience."